True meaning

This year we decided to go with the true meaning of Christmas and told everyone to give to charity in lieu of giving us adults gifts,as we had decided to do ourselves.Christmas had gotten out of control with so much greed these past years.The looks on people's faces was priceless when I made the announcement.They were dumbstruck that they would not be receiving gifts this year,although these were the same people who show up empty handed every year,eat our food and get their gifts,and leave.Literally.Anyone else going this route this year?

TMJ121099

Asked by TMJ121099 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My DD and I always make gifts for the adults. I do buy for my mother tho, she is my hero, so I spoil her, but for every other adult we paint ornaments or picture frames. It seems to mean more than store bought presents and we have fun making them together. But I know how you feel. I got tired of buying for 15ppl just to get a big nothing in return. This way we aren't out much money and we have fun!
    Am19v

Answer by Am19v at 10:02 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• My sisters & I don't do gifts for ourselves or each other anyways. We only buy for each others kids, as always. That's how it was when we were growing up... once you are an adult (out of high schooL) then you are lumped int he 'old' category & just the little guys get them.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:34 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• We don't go crazy over gifts especially the adults. We have a low key exchange and for the most part enjoy watching the little ones get so excited. We are all so excited just to be together and have food and great conversation in front of a roaring fire and admire the tree. I would be totally appalled if someone showed up grabbed a gift, horked down some food and left. How rude is that ? If this is the kind of behavior you are dealing with...I don't blame you one bit for doing what you did.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:16 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• My brother, sisters and I don' t buy for the adults, we let all our kids under age 18 draw names. I do buy for all my kids, even the adult ones, but the adults don't get as many gifts as the ones still at home.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 11:02 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I think that is wonderful.
    We have a friend who bought books for children of social services at Border's. You buy a book that a child requested and it gets donated to them.
    We did a few of them ourselves, but our friend did some in our children's names.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:10 AM on Dec. 24, 2009