how can a single mom afford to be a SAHM???

I see it occasionally on here.. single moms saying they are SAHMs..
how is this possible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have no idea! I am a single mom and I get maybe one or 2 child support checks/yr so I have to work alot! Maybe they get food stamps or child support and live with their parents?!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:33 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I don't know unless they have a very good SAHB they run... But when I was a single mother of 2 I worked hard and long hrs bc there was no cs chks coming my way and very little help in the way of assistants from the state...
    I am now a SAHGM but that is only bc my dh works hard/long hrs to make sure that our gs has a full time mom/grandma at home for him even tho he is 8 now....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:37 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• A lot of them are on PA with all sorts of programs helping them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I am a SAHM who is also single. I get a nice check for child support every month which buys diapers and pays for food for me. I do live with my father and I do contribute to the rent. I don't have any government assistance, not even WIC. I plan on going back to work when my son is one. He's only seven months now. I will say that I can't afford to have luxuries like brand new clothes or shoes for myself so I do sacrifice. I think that being home with my son for the first year is more important. I couldn't live like this forever though so I will put him in daycare and go to work soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• yeah when i lived in the projects, everyone was on foodstamps, wic, section 8, and tanif. but in mo you can only use most of these programs for five years or they will take them away. they like people to work here.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:44 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Living with their parents or welfare.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• It makes me angry to see. There are certain instances when single moms can stay home... IF they have a nice size alimony OR a trust fund to live on... other wise, they need to be out working to care for their children instead of requiring the tax payers to do it. What gives them the right to take advantage of my husband who works 40+ hours a week to support us as well as other single mom's out there who are working full time, sometimes 2 -3 jobs?? How the heck is that right? Why is it allowed?? AARRRGGGGG
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:08 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• because they got knocked up.. and we have to pay for it..
    while they continue their stupid antics.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Child support + alimony + TANF + WIC + Medicaid + Food Stamps. You can be a SAHM, but it's usually a life of poverty and welfare.
    Anonymous

• I am sure some sahm's who are single moms get financial support from the ex or child's father. Some also live back with their parents, maybe combined with child support. I am a single mom now, with an ex husband who is extremely good about supporting his family despite his other issues. He takes his financial responsibilities seriously and we all benefit from that. I work now because my kids are older and it is better for all of us, but I did stay home for a few years after the separation. He still pays the entire mortgage payment on the house we live in....and he plans to split the equity with me when we sell it after my son graduates from high school. There are no guarantees in life....but that is his genuine heart-felt plan. So....I am sure I am not the only one who is supported financially by an ex!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2009