military defends pregnancy punishment in Iraq, thoughts on this policy?

BAGHDAD (Reuters) – The U.S. military commander in northern Iraq defended on Tuesday a new policy imposing strict penalties, including possible jail time, for troops who become pregnant or get other soldiers pregnant.

"In this 22,000-soldier task force, I need every soldier I've got, especially since we are facing a drawdown of forces during our mission," Major General Tony Cucolo, who commands U.S. soldiers in northern Iraq, said in a statement.

Cucolo's new directive, issued last month when he took command, lays out a long list of activities that could lead to court martial or criminal charges, from gambling to stealing historical artifacts, and applies only to his command.

The clause about pregnancy has garnered the most attention, affecting seven soldiers under Cucolo's command, according to military spokesman Major Jeff Allen. The command includes 1,682 female soldiers, Allen said.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:32 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:33 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I don't know what to think. They are there to do a job. If they are pregnant, they can't do it to their fullest abilities. At least they aren't forcing abortion. They are there to work, not cultivate families.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I agree with it, but then again, I don't think women should be in the military anyway...
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:41 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• hey if staying healthy is part of the job, then stay not pregnant, you can't do your job, you shouldn't get paid then. (disability is for these times, and you should still have to cover your medical if they tell you not to get pregnant)
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:41 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• You are the property of the military as soon as you sign those papers they place in front of you and you CHOOSE to sign. We dont have a draft and even when we did women wernt drafted! These women CHOSE to join so they HAVE to follow the rules. The rules say....No pregnancy...so...if you get prego there are consequences. It sucks but they CHOSE this.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:48 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• They've already recanted yesterday - they are no longer threatening court martial for pregnancy.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:57 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• S   T   R   E   T   C   H

R   E   A   C   H

eye rolling

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• i think they should do how useful would it be to have a pregnant woman in them ilitary that we have to pay for
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I think they should court martial the men involved. I also think they need to investigate and pursue rape charges to the fullest extent until the attitude of the men in the military changes drastically.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• My mother was a Marine and had three kids with my father who was also a Marine. My mom was also a mechanic and she worked in the tool shed until she had us. Women do belong in the military and maybe that is because I was raised around a lot of tough women. The women were tougher than the men and we were all a family.
    My sister is now a Marine and she is the toughest woman I know. She also took the route of a mechanic. Our Marine family is taking care of her and helped her to get the best housing and to help her to get where she needed to go.
    So for those screaming women don't belong they so do belong.
    Now as for pregnancy. It happens and like any job needs pregnancy pay and such. But for women out in the field and messing around they need to remember that if you have sex then babies do tend to come with that. But both parties should be in trouble not just one. Hello DNA testing.
    Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 11:05 AM on Dec. 23, 2009