Can you buy boxes of chocolate with food stamps?

Please do not jump all over me!
My family is all buying my children toys and stuff for Christmas. I feel horrible I am going to show up empty handed. Can food stamps pay for boxes of chocolate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It is consumable so yes

Answer by admckenzie at 9:43 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• U can buy anything that's not cooked.
    officerdouglas

Answer by officerdouglas at 9:47 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• YES
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• You can buy any not hot food items. Yes, you can. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• yes , have fun .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• As long as it is not hot food, as in already prepared yes. You could save your foodstamps or make them go a bit further by baking cookies too. Just a suggestion, so you don't go through all your stamps and are short on food at the end of the month.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:03 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Well, my family will most likely be giving me a bit of cash as a gift, so I am planning on using that to suppliment what I am giving them.
    Thank you all for being so kind and not judging. I am ashamed my life ended up like this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Yes you can BUT it would save you money to bake cookies and do little cookie gift bags instead. Make it like 1 gift per family instead of a box of chocolate for each person KWIM?
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 10:23 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Good luck and have a blessed Christmas. The ideas about baking cookies are good ones. In addition, most everyone likes homemade stuff. :)

Answer by Bmat at 10:38 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Yes, you can and I did. I got some candies for the grandkids to top their $3 pj presents with. I too feel bad but it is what it is. you (and I ) made decisions, live with your decisions!!! It is never a poor choice when you choose to use a progran to better your family and to assist yourselves for a short time. I have had some SNAP benefits for a few years and we are losing them next month due to overincoming. I am fearful that I will not have enough money for food because I have become dependant on dedicated food monies. It will all work out. Do what you are doing it is going to be OK!!!
    and Enjoy your hokidays, they alone give us enough stress don't make it worse on yourself!!!!!.....Julie
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 10:40 AM on Dec. 23, 2009