Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I find out for free if husband has another child?

My husband is telling me he had to pay $600 to the dept of taxation because child support put a lien on him, but I have not asked for child support. I am thinking now since he is telling me things that don't add up, the he must have a kid outside the marriage. Is there a way I can find out if he is paying child support and for whom...he of course is denying everything and will until I find out for sure. Why would the dept of taxation mention child support. Would it be the same agency?

Answer Question

Asked by nycsexymommy at 10:42 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Relationships

Level 2 (5 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I am not sure, but I would look into it.

    Call your local probation office and say I am call regarding child support on behalf of my husband act like you know what your talking about., they should be able to help you. OMG, I feel bad for you.

    They can't collect child support unless he has a child, and he would have to know by signing the birth certificate or he claimed the baby as his.

    Try to have a wonderful holiday...

    Answer by KFree907 at 10:46 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • Try going to the state's child support site and put in his social security number. See if that brings up anything.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:49 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • Honey, you say he told you he had to pay that money b/c child support put a lein on him. If you're not getting child support, then I think he pretty much just told you he has another child that he is paying support for. I'm sorry, I know it must hurt and it must be hard to accept that he's apparently hidden this from you all this time, but unless I've misread something in your question, it's pretty clear to me that he is paying child support for another child. If you want to find out more info, though, I would think the county courthouse would be the place to start. Assuming of course that the child was born and/or lives in the same county as you all. If he/she lives somewhere else, it may prove to be more difficult.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 10:50 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • WHAT?! My first response to him would have been WHAT CHILD?! They cannot put a lein on you for CS if there is no child. Did he just forget to mention it? You need to ask you husband directly. Then follow up by other means if necessary - this could greatly affect you life! Especailly since the custodial parent can go back every two year and ask the court for a modification to INCREASE her CS.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • Yes, if he is paying child support he has another child.

    Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • said you had not filed for child support. Are you separated and receiving any kind of government benefits or have you received any kind of government benefits for your child like Welfare? Because if you have the department of child support enforcement also covers that money in many states such as Virginia. When I filed for TANF three years ago because me and my then husband had split, the department of child support enforcement put a lien against his state taxes because he owed that money as child support. If however you are not split up and you have never filed for these kinds of benefits, either he has another kid or DCSE messed up and got his social mixed up (have seen that happen too). Check his pay stubs and your bank records for any recurring payments (aka the same amount each month) . I doubt asking him will do any good since if he is lying hes done a good job of it.

    Answer by RamGrl at 1:48 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.