Does the receptionist at your doctor's office think that she knows about medicine?

Granted, she probably does know more than me, but our receptionist makes me so frustrated every time I call in with a question. The doctor put my 4 month old on amoxicillin yesterday because she heard some rattling in her chest. (she has an awful cold) She needs to take 1 tsp 2xs a day. It took about 45 min, both times yesterday and she spit up half of it, if not more. So I called the office today to see if we could do smaller dosages through out the day to see if that would help. The receptionist just kept telling me you have to do it as the doctor said and started making me feel like a horrible mother that I couldn't get my dd to swallow it. It is something totally foreign to my daughter. Anyway, another girl in the office just called me back and said that the doctor said it was fine, I could so small dosages. So the receptionist was wrong, she didn't know what she was talking about. Drives me crazy!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'd just tell them in the future, the front desk, that you have a question you need answered by the doctor who knows your baby the best. Then that call will be returned by either a known nurse or doctor themself.

Some receptionists are like bulldogs but just stay calm and firm or you'll be tagged as difficult.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:18 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• My receptionist thinks she knows Jesus...lol..no but seriously, her attitude is always AWFUL!!! I cant stand walking in that office, its always a good visit when shes not there!!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• as a person that worked in a doctors office before my twins came along..... the receptionist is not legal allowed to offer ANY medical advice.... she does not have a degree to make any decision like that. i would have been pissed.... and yes most dr offices do mare u as pita.... pain in the ass.... all i have to say is MARK me because my girls come first... i guess i was lucky cause i did insurance billing and only got the people that were already mad...
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 11:49 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• There are several there. Some are extremely nice, and others I would swear drive a broom in to work. Ya take the good with the bad I guess.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:03 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• At my office, the receptionists are the nurses. They take turns answer phones, taking patients back. There's also an offic emanager, but I'm not sure if she has a medical background. So generally, when I call they can give me a good answer and tehy are very good about asking if they do not know or are not 100% certain.
    Anonymous

• We had a receptionist slash office manager and she would answer your questions if you were paid up but if you owed money she would take a message and somehow the doctor would not call you back or she was like a pit bull and she would say stuff like the doctor will be to busy to call you back. or demand you ask her the question.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2009