would u buy a 10 year old a laptop?

michele101183

Asked by michele101183 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would but only for disney games or something.. and Iwould mainly be in a room thats mointered all mdayy
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 11:30 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• No... At 10 they are too young for it and in their rooms where you can't monitir what they are doing. The internet can be fun and a good place for school info but it is also full of perves and porn to name a few.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:30 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• i wouldnt
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• heck NO.......I have a laptop that is mine and I let my 4 year old play like pbskids and stuff on it I am right there but at 10 I think is still to young if you alow them on the computer let them on yours not by them there own way to young OMO
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• no. I'd let a 10 year old use a computer in a place where I can see the computer screen with me in the room always. Plus parentals would be installed. My son when he was 14 or 15 (granted years older than your 10yo) was i m ing with a 30 year old woman across the country. Ten years later 10 year old boys and girls are the eighteen year olds hormonally of the kids of ten years ago. Even if the 10yo just wants to play video games be careful and you control the power on off switch of the computer.In hindsight the wonderful thing about video games is that really truly any game can be restarted and rejoined from beginning to beat own personal best of a player.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:34 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Well my 6 year old uses my old one. That way if something happened to it, it wouldnt be as big of a deal. It is monitored. I think it depends on how it will be used and how well it will be monitored.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 11:46 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• No. My kids aren't even allowed to touch my computer because every time one of them gets near it they mess it up and it was expensive. My oldest will be 10 in June and wants a laptop. I don't know why since it would just be taken away since she doesn't take care of any of her stuff. Why would I buy something that costs several hundred dollars for her to just leave it laying all over the house.
    She got a DS for her 8th birthday and has only played it a handful of times over the last year because she doesn't take care of it (loses all the games, leaves it laying around) and takes it when she doesn't have permission (even going through my drawers to find it) and then says up until 10-11pm playing it when I've told her it's bedtime.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:51 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• The only reason I'd buy my child a laptop is for gaming or school. It would have absolutely no internet access until they've proven they can handle what lies behind the browser. That won't even be until they are 16 or older anyhow. I was a teenager once with internet access .. I know very well what can be done, go on, and who they can find. I have no desire to let my child find that type of information or those types of people. They also have to prove to me that they can take care of their posessions. If they can't, then they don't get one. If I bought my child any sort of computer they have to pay half. Whether it is save their allowence money, or get a part-time job. Nothing is free in this household.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• We got our gs (I have custody of him) a DELL laptop for this past Easter...
    If you have the funds, and your child is into this type of techno, then there is no reason
    why you shouldn't...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• To add... our gs is internet connected has NO parental controls set up... his laptop in in the front room so we know what he is doing all the time... we do not do any type of cable/dish tv... his cartoons are done online...he will ask us if a certain website is ok... he also does Webkinz, and other children sites including the one his school uses...
    Oh and our gs is extremely responsible with all of his things... he will get his first DS for Christmas this yr... was given a used PS2 game console and showed good care for it and we replaced it with a newer version for last Christmas...
    It is just how we have raised him to be... he is not into sports.... well except to watch Hockey games online...
    these are only MO's
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:31 PM on Dec. 23, 2009