• In the Spotlight:

Taking a 6 years old boy to have his ears pierced. Any experiences?

My boy asked and asked for it, based on my earrings and his dads studs (one in each ear).
I have done my best to prepare my son, telling him that it will hurt and that he might cry when it's being done. Also I've told him about how I will need to clean his ears all the time for weeks and that it might sting... -But my boy still wants it and (his dad having both ears done and some boys at school having one or both ears done as well) I don't think it's a good argument to tell him that earrings are just a thing for girls.

Anyway; planning to take him to have both ears done (what he's asking for and which I personally prefer the look of, rather than just one), knowing that he's afraid of needles, I worry that maybe he might "freak" and be surprised that it actually does hurt and maybe don't want to go on having both done after all.

Do any of you know how to expect him to react to having it done or any advice?

KatyRee22

Asked by KatyRee22 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• IMHO, we have 3 boys and if they asked me to get their ears pierced I would have to say no.. My Hubby has his tongue pierced and tattoos but that doesn't mean our boys should have it done too. They all know that when they are 18 and can pay for it themselves they are free to pierce or tattoo all they want, but until then, no... By then they will know for sure if they want to spend a lifetime with something they can't get ride of, unless they have it removed, or live with holes in their body. We let our boys wear the kind of clothes they like, hair styles, etc, but permanent things have to wait. We also have a 6 yr old and I couldn't imagine letting him get a piercing... BTW, JMO.......
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:49 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• personally i think 2 will not look goodon a 6 yr old boy. 1 maybe
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 11:49 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I don't know that you can do much more than what you've already done to prepare him. Unless you want to give his ear a really hard pinch to try to show him somewhat how it will hurt, but it wouldn't be the same, and honestly, would be a little mean, I think. I guess just take him and maybe see if someone else is there getting it done so that he can watch them get it done first. And if he backs out at the last minute or after getting only one done, well...it happens.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:50 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Thanks for the replies so far :-)

I thought of the pinch tropicalmama, but didn't use it to explain to him, for exactly the same reasons that you mention: I could pinch his ear lightly and it would hurt worse to have his ears pierced and I could pinch his ears really hard and it might hurt worse, plus be mean and would feel different from the real thing anyway.

To mention some details, I'm not trying to decide wether to let him have his ears done. He wants it badly and I am fine with him having it done, other than being a little worried on his behalf regarding having it done.

If he could see someone his age having it done, it would be fine if he backed out, but if he goes for it I wish he'll be able to go through it and not having a too scary experience.

But as I know he wants it done and because we (both parents) are fine with it, I just hope it will not be too painful for him...
    KatyRee22

Answer by KatyRee22 at 12:04 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Ew. I think that looks extremely low class. I would never let my boy do that. Mine has asked for 1 a lot. I will never let him. I have never seen a boy with 2 holes. People will judge him and think he comes from a poor and tacky family.
    Anonymous

• It doesn't hurt that bad. It's just a pinch when the initial needle goes into the ear. Plus, he won't see the needle and it's hidden between two plates on the earing gun. I think he'll take it well.

Anon 11:09 .. seriously? Don't pay any mind to Anon. She obviously looks down her nose at everyone. I know a lot of people who are very nice, hard working, people with very nice families who have piercings. I personally wouldn't let a child under the age of 13 get piercings, but that's me. If you feel it's okay for your child to have them, then just do what you can to prepare him. Knowing what is going to happen, how long it will take, and the maitenence after they're done. Also inform him of what will happen if he doesn't clean them everyday and how sore his ears will be for a few days.

All the best!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:16 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't do it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:32 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Thanks a lot JazzlikeMraz....

I appreciate all replies, though the one from Anonimous were kind of irrelevant. I am convinced that my son wants his ears done (both) and I support him and I will let him have it done. just hoping that you are right that he will not be shocked by how it feels when the first stud goes in...

Where I live (Denmark) it will be a little unusual for a boy to wear studs in both ears, but not unheard of and certainly not something that would cause trouble with prejudiced people's opinions.

I just reckon that having both of his ears done would have been easier both if he had been much younger and if he was older. I just worry that at his age he is too old to be "helped" sitting still having the second ear done, yet too young to think the piercing will be just like a walk in the park.

All that said, he's been begging for it and I know he'll love the end results and I'm fine with it too.
    KatyRee22

Answer by KatyRee22 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Hmmm...

I'm considering where to take my boy to have his ears done, or maybe let him watch somebody have his/her ears pierced. There's hairdresser's, beauty salons and jeweller's to choose between. I wonder if it will make a difference and if one type of business might be a better place than others, for a boy this age (6 years).

I have told him about how important it is to keep his ears clean and that it might sting when I clean them for him for some weeks.

He tells me that he is scared because it hurts to have the earrings put in "with a gun" but tells me that he wants it so badly and that he wish he just had the holes and could wear earrings.

I'll definitely take him to have it done after New Years eve as he wants it so much and since we're (me and his dad) are fine with him wearing (small and child safe) earrings.

Do any of you know how badly my boy can be assumed to think the ear piercing procedure hurts?
    KatyRee22

Answer by KatyRee22 at 12:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• My son got his pierced at six and it caught him by surprise you have done everything you can to prepare him.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2009