Present wrapping war - taping to the box

In your house (or on your side of the battlefield in your house) is taping the paper to the box at the start absolutely tacky or necessary to preserve your sanity and keep said box from flying out the window?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:44 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If I can't get the paper to lay the way I want it, it's getting taped to the box. I have to take breaks when gift wrapping because I'll tape the thing so no one can ever open it (I like to do that to hubby's gift. He always gets a kick out of it). I've never heard of it being tacky. I'm always careful to place the tape so there's not enough on the box to mess anything up.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 11:49 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• How else do you keep the damn box in place? I do it all the time, usually three pieces, one in middle and one each end. I have stopped the two end pieces now and just do the middle!!!
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 11:52 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I ALWAYS put a small piece of tape on the paper & the box to hold it in place.

The funniest thing in the world, however, is wrapping your gift... then taking packing tape & sealing ALL of the ends or seams. It is AWESOME! (do it if you have older teenagers or to your husband's good gift)
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:52 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I do it, but when I worked at a retail store that provided gift wrap at the perfume counter I worked at they told me that was the "proper" way to wrap. Trust me they were picky as hell too. The ends had to be folded a specific way, the gold sticker tags had to be placed in exact spots, etc. *shudder* oh the wrapping horror...

OH btw IF dh ever wraps anything it ends up looking like a peppermint candy. Twists of paper at both ends. lol
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I do it - why not?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I tape it to the box first. Because that prevents me from getting frustrated due to the paper slipping everywhere. It definately preserves sanity, and like you said, keeps the box from flying out the window. It's not tacky.. Nobody saves the box anyhow, so what does it matter if the paper gets taped to it?
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:10 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I was also taught to use one small piece of tape in the middle to keep the paper to the present. . . . by my oh-so-proper Grandma :D If she didn't think it was tacky, I think we're all int he clear! LOL
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• If you don't tape the paper to the box, the box will escape. Now... taping the box shut with multiple pieces of tape on all four sides of the box... grounds for murder!
    crittermomma

Answer by crittermomma at 12:29 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• WTF? If you don't tape the paper to the box then the box will be sliding around the whole time. IMO not doing it is just stupid. :D
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I always tape it to the box to keep the paper in place.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:36 PM on Dec. 23, 2009