• In the Spotlight:

One year old feeding?

My dd is almost 1. Once they are a year are you suppose to quit the bottle and go to table food only? How much are you suppose to feed them?! Any tips?

dbodani

Asked by dbodani at 11:55 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• after stoping the bottle it seems like my son is always eatting, but he get 3 meals and about 3 healthy snacks
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 11:57 AM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I never stopped the bottle at 1 year. But you do have them eat 3 meals and less bottles.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:12 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Stopping the bottle is a bit subjective, but it's a good time to at least introduce a sippy cup if you haven't already. My kids all were on table foods by around 8 months, so you can definitely start that! Just chop up whatever you are having for meals, as long as it isn't too salty or sugary. My son eats 3 meals and 2 snacks - for lunch today he just had a 4 oz container of yogurt, a slice of cheese melted on whole wheat toast, and 5-6 halved grapes plus around 1/2 cup of milk to drink.

Answer by missanc at 12:14 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I took the bottle away from Chloe and started her on regular milk, but she would still lay down with a sippy and drink her milk like it was a bottle, but only in the morning and and at night, then just the morning, and then never :)
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• We started to eliminate the bottle at 1 but he still wasn't drinking from a sippy cup so we waited until 15 months. (Note: THe main issue with the bottle is having the bottle at night before going to sleep. Can cause teeth problems.) We did 3 meals and 2 snacks, if he wanted them. You can let them eat as much as they want of healthy foods (i.e. fruits, veggies,meats, grains) but limit the junk food. Don't be surprised if you find that some days your child eats hardly anything and the next day can't seem to get enough food. That's the way most toddlers work. No reason to stop all baby foods if you don't want. We continued with some of the stae 3 foods because they made easy meals. However, you'll want to start to increase the amount of table foods and self-feeding foods. Some kids take quickly to table foods but others (like my son) don't so play it by ear.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2009