Ear Infections & Smoke

I heard that second hand smoke can cause ear infections in babies and was wondering if it were true. I do not smoke but my mother in law does and she always wants the baby to be around at her place but i hate taking her there cause its so smokey. I don't smoke for a reason and i don't want my child around it. Does anyone know if second hand smoke can cause ear infections? Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am in the same boat. My mil and fil smoke in the house, i hate it. I feel my son gets more ear infections, and i say thats why. I use to never want to go over there when my son was a new born. But now that he is older he goes over there more, You cant keep him from his Grandma. I have my mil and fil not smoke in the house when my son is there. My dad smoked in the house when i was growing up and i got bad ear infections, my husband had to get tubs in his ears. So i would say yes its true.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 12:01 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Also, my mil and fil are older and cany leave the house alot so them coming to my house isnt really an oppison. but maybe you can have them come to your house to see your baby
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 12:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Yes, my pediatrician said the smoke can cause ear infections...but never mind whether it does or not, WHY WOULD YOU WANT YOUR BABY'S precious, newly forming lungs and heart to be exposed to second hand smoke? Why would you allow your baby to smell like tobacco?

I know it's very difficult to exercise honesty to in-laws...but imagine being that little baby. What would your baby tell you if he/she could speak? If you don't want your baby around it, then don't have her around it. Period.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Of course it can. It can also put the child at risk for colds, flu, bronchitis and pneumonia.

Even if they don't smoke their house is contaminated. Tell them if they want to see your baby they can come to your house.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:30 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Exposure to secondhand smoke has been strongly linked with a higher incidence of asthma, respiratory infections (including pneumonia), and ear infections in children. Children exposed to passive smoke are hospitalized more frequently, and have a higher chance of dying from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 23, 2009