Attacks on Christians, Thoughts?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091223/wl_mideast_afp/iraqunrestchristianattack

It looks like Christians are facing a lot of fear in Iraq this Holiday season. Any thoughts on why this behaviour is prevelant this time of year? How does this affect the muslim stand point of peace?

ethans_momma06

Asked by ethans_momma06 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• ethans_momma06

I asked about how this affects the muslim stand point on peace because these acts were carried out in a Nation where Islam is the State Religion. If an attack on a synagog or Mosque had happend in the Vatican city, I would ask the same question, only directed at the Christians.

I asked because I am well aware that Moderate Muslims live and claim a peaceful and tolerant life, religiously and secularly and so I wonder how that community deals with these attacks. Do they try to help? Do they make it known that these attackers are NOT adhering to an Islamic lifestyle? That sort of thing. It was a pleasure to read your response.

Iraq is/was a country were the government authority had broken down so that it is/was in a state of chaos. It is not just Christians being targeted for their beliefs, it is every single group, That is what happens when differing religious based militia have arms and no one to stop them
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 12:49 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Just the kind of thing we need going on in America of course im being sarcastic but it is what we will get the way we are headed.
    Anonymous

• Christians have been living in fear for quite some time - this is nothing new. Iraq, Syria, Israel, China, areas of the former USSR, North Africa, India . . . there is still quite a bit of persecution occurring world-wide.

Of all faiths. Not just Christians.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 1:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• and here i thought muslims were getting a break on cm. LOLOLOL..

let me go read the link...
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 3:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I just read the link.. you know.. it's so sad .. im sorry i made a joke earlier.. It's really hard to not get angry and blame the muslims. but when you say muslims one should know that this is not a muslm dilemna .. these are acts of people who do not live by islam. Not only are they bombing churches but also mosque, it struck me that the article didn't mention that mosque are getting bombed also.

islam is very easy to defend... the so called muslim who has done this.. isn't. and nor would i try to.

unfortunately, this country is in a state of war and the casualities will continue whether muslim or christian until war is over.. maybe.

may we all be guided to the successful path and all be saved from any of these kinds of acts.

This in no way represents the muslim community nor islam.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 3:27 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Aasiyah -
    I think most of us who know just a little bit about Islam know that the teachings are indeed peaceful and loving.
    Like Christianity, it would be very limiting to judge the religion by some of its practitioners. For every insult hurled at Islam because of Osama Bin Ladin, there is an equal insult hurled because of Fred Phelps, the priests who committed abominable acts of perversion, and so forth.
    Neither faith is immune to the destruction and evil committed by the individual. And neither faith should be evaluated by those acts.
    May the peace of God bring you joy this season, Aasiyah.
    Salaam
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 5:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Aasiyah,

ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 6:08 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• CONTINUED

There is a saying you dont know what you got till its gone. My heart goes out to the people of Iraq for all that they have suffered, and hope they achieve a state again where they do not live in sectarian fear. Iraq before the invasion was one of the most secular arab countries, people didnt take notice of what others religious beliefs were. I look to with it with sadness, and thankgod that I dont live in a country as destablised or as dangerous for all its inhabitants. The killing and torture that has occured is unspeakable

The killing, the anarchy, the suffering, inflicted by people who have taken on twisted violent idealogy is something that I think causes disturbance and sadness, to any who have a heart and compassion for the welfare of others, no matter of what religion are the abusers, or what religion the target, whereever globaly. Religion, politics, sectarian community , and guns/weapons are an evil mix.
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 12:50 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Actually this sort of thing is going on all around the world, just because of the war, the focus seems to be primarily on the iran and iraq. To bad those areas are so controlled by religion, because they are truly beautiful people.
    Jewelzgirl

Answer by Jewelzgirl at 1:06 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• if these areas were controlled by religion..they wouldn't be like this...

it's precisely that they don't follow the religion that these areas are in complete chaos.

Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 6:38 PM on Dec. 24, 2009