first period after birth ....help tmi question

i am bleeding more than ever!!!!! i am bleeding more than after birth and regular periods! is this normal or what....? it is alot of blood and its bright red what do i do??? thanks for your help.

tiffandgene2009

Asked by tiffandgene2009 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Health

• I had the same thing. drove me crazy. It was around the six week mark so i had an appointment with the doctor. She said it was a period but since it was so heavy and mine lasted for more than a week she gave me medroxyprogesterone to stop the bleeding. But she said after birth it can get a lot heavier.

Mandy211

Answer by Mandy211 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I was the same with this last baby. Woah! I couldn't keep up with it for a few days and even soiled my bed (nice). It stayed heavy for four cycles then reverted to manageable again with a screech. But that very first one was the absolute worse. If you feel well (not dizzy or with a high temperature) and there is no bad odour with it, hang in there sister until it passes. Sadly, it's perfectly normal. Thinking of you (with my legs crossed)! xxx
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 12:41 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• It's normal for the first post-partum period to be heavier, longer, and accompanied by more or more severe symptoms. I got mine at 5 weeks, and the only way I knew it was a period was because it was red instead of brown. There's not much you can do, beyond the normal pain killers if you're cramping a lot, and maybe some iron supplements to keep your iron levels up. If you think it's been too long (I'd say to give it at least a week) or if you're starting to feel dizzy or light-headed possibly from loss of blood, you may want to call your doctor. Other than that, you can only wait it out, like a normal period.

If it helps, this doesn't mean they'll always be like this from now on. It was only my first post-partum period; the second was a little worse than normal, but not that bad, and after that they were back to normal. So it doesn't last forever, I promise! :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2009