meal time rules

What are yours? Dh, ds, and I just started sitting down for dinner as a family but half the time dh is on the phone. I thought meal time was supposed to be family time. I understand sometimes he has work issues as he's manager, but he will call friends and family. I wish he would either call before or after our meal. What are your rules/thoughts on this "new rule" I just don't know how to bring it up to dh because I feel like I'd be trying to tell him what to do. What are your thoughts?

mom06and09

Asked by mom06and09 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Growing up, we didn't even answer the phone if it rang (and we didn't have an answering machine) much less actually call someone! I'm not as much of a stickler about not answering the phone, because I will, but we do not make phone calls during supper and I will tell whomever it is that I (or my dh, or kids) will call them back. I also think it's poor etiquette to call someone between the hours of 5-7 because that's the "dinner hour"
    If you are trying to sit down together as a family, then that's family time and I would just let your dh know that you would appreciate it if he would turn his ringer off and not make calls for the 1/2 or so it takes your family to eat. I was a manager for a period of time, and I never made phone calls during my family meals. He can make his personal calls after you eat.

Answer by missanc at 12:30 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• In our house, meal time is MEAL TIME. No phone. No radio. No TV. We like to go for no yelling too but my six year old is VERY LOUD LOL. We all "sit and be together" and talk about our day and enjoy our meal. I think it's such a great way to stay connected and find out how everyone is doing.

I think you have every right to bring this up to your husband... he's part of the partnership and you're part of the partnership. Why should you have a problem letting him know that there's something you want to do and have him be a part of? I tell my husband things I'd like him to do all the time, and when it's not presented as harping/nagging/bitching it's generally received in a positive manner LOL.
    crittermomma

Answer by crittermomma at 12:33 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Just ask him to hang it up. I bet he doesn't even realize it bothers you.
    Anonymous

• no phone calls and no tv on or toys at the table.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• No phone calls, no toys at the table, and NO FARTING at the damn table.
    Arlyah

Answer by Arlyah at 1:07 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Disable the ringer on the phone.
    busymom1107

Answer by busymom1107 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• No phone. No TV, unless it's Football (blech) season. It's only about 20-30 minutes. I think we'll survive.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:52 PM on Dec. 23, 2009