I think my boss did something VERY illegal

I work at a coffee shop/tobacco store. She was audited yesterday, and before the auditor came, she took EVERYTHING that pertained to the coffee shop out. The expresso machine, all the signs in the windows, the cash register, the coffee pots etc etc ...it was like the coffee shop part didn't even exist. Who can I tell about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• THE IRS...THAT'S INSANE!! HOW DO YOU KNOW THE MONEY SHE PAYS YOU WITH ISN'T STOLEN OR SOMETHING I WOULDN'T TRUST HER.
    Anonymous

• Don't tell. Why tell? What exactly is your motivation? Is your boss hurting anyone? Do you hate your boss?

If this were an Enron type situation, where billions of dollars are at stake and thousands of people will lose their pensions, by all means tell....but removing coffee stuff?? Hmmm just doesn't seem to sound very damaging to anyone....

Is this just a consideration to stand up for RIGHT vs WRONG? Then perhaps you may consider standing for LOYALTY to your workplace or to your boss vs what you perceive MIGHT be wrong.....
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• OP here....in response to TLALONDE...My boss is a very dishonest evil bitch. She treats all of her employees like crap. We close at 9:00pm, and regardless if we have customers come in at the last minute, or if the other person we are working with is taking forever, she ONLY pays us until 9:15, even if we have to stay until 10 for some reason. She pays us under the table, and refuses to pay us any differently. I have asked several times to have taxes taken out of my check, but she refuses. If I didn't desperatly need this job, I would have already quit. None of our family members are allowed to come in while we work, even if it is to just buy something and leave. She says if she catches them in here, we will be fired. She only allows us to take the trash out after dark, and says if we take it out before, she will fire us...the list goes on and on...
    Anonymous

• Wow TLA - so doing something illegal is okay with you as long as it's not a huge corporation? Nice morals you've got there...I suppose you think it's ok to steal as long as you really need too. LOL

If this was a tax audit, then yes I'd inform the IRS.
    Anonymous

• if you report you will most likely lose your job one way or another. So be prepared for that. Also since you are being paid under the table its another violation, as well as not paying you for the time you work after close.

It's a decision you have to make...

contact the better business bureau for info on how to report.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I would say something. It takes the bigger person to live a life of honesty and integrity.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• My husband has a saying that I like to stick to. "Don't piss in your own pool." If you desparately need the job which is why you haven't already quit, then why would you tell on her now? You will lose your job if you tell on her. If you are quiting anyway then tell, but if it really is a desparate situation...Don't piss in your own pool!
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:03 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Not sure why she did that since she could give that stuff away (free coffee, etc) and it would be fine. All she had to do is say she didn't sell it.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:10 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• You can report things anonymously so yourboss doesnt know it was you, if your there when the person comes in look fro names or what company the auditer came from. And when your not at work give them a call and say your an employee and want to remain anonymous or your a previous employee, take pictures of all the coffee equipment in the store so if she trys to remove it again then you have proof its there!
    dairyberrys

Answer by dairyberrys at 1:11 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't say anything. You need the job, you along with every other employee will probably end up losing their jobs as well. She's a bitch but you all depend on that business to put food on the table. It's just coffee, jeeeeeez! But I would report her to the better business bureau about the working overtime and being paid under the table. She legally can not fire you if you do that I believe!
    AriMicSun

Answer by AriMicSun at 1:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2009