Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it ok to get food stamps while married but living seperately?

I am married but been leaving with mother for almost 2 years. I applied for food stamps when I went on a non paid maternity leave. They gave it to me. I put on the application I was single since this jerk gives me a really hard time to give me 3 dollars. Now that I am divorcing and thinking of filling for child support, he tells me he will tell the gov I was fraudulent. We don't leave together. Addresses are different and never filed taxes together. Should I be terrify? I know he does not want me to ask for child support via the courts.

Answer Question

Asked by nycsexymommy at 12:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Relationships

Level 2 (5 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • I am separated from my husband and have been for over a year and I get them and don't give me any greif about it because we don't live together.

    Answer by Memigen at 12:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • FILE FOR CHILD SUPPORT! If you can prove you weren't living together, and that he wasn't paying child support or contributing financially, then I am pretty certain you would have still been eligible for food stamps anyway. You can just say, you thought that being separated meant being made a mistake.... The worst thing that can happen is that you will have to pay the money back in installments.....but I really doubt they would make you do that. The best person to answer this is a food stamp case worker. You can call one anonymously and ask.

    I ABSOLUTELY AND THOUROUGHLY HATE men who avoid paying child support. They are despicable pieces of SH*T! If you don't sue him for child support, you will sorely regret it. Your child needs the support. NEEDS it.....

    Answer by TLALONDE16 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • I filed for food stamps for 3 months right after I left my ex, but I put on the application that I was married. I don't know if it would make a difference that you lied. If I'm not mistaken, you signed something on that paper saying that all the information was true to the best of your knowledge. They may take you benefits away, but I would guess that the child support from him would be more than the amount you're getting in food stamps.

    Answer by missanc at 12:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • There will likely be some trouble because you did lie on a governement form.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • I wish u the best being that u told them that u were single instead of married but separated will be very hard for u.

    Answer by officerdouglas at 12:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • You are legally entitled to government aid if you are separated, and that's exactly what you should have said when you applied for the government aid in the first place. You can't really get in trouble for reporting that you were single because it's often a confusing point for displaced homemakers and separated women so they just write "single" since their divorce isn't final. Tell your ex to blow it up his ass, you can't be reported for fraud unless you lied about income. He'll look like even more of an asshole in the Department of Justice's (the department that manages child support and welfare) eyes, so that should be fun. Why on earth have you not filed a child support order?

    Answer by elleinad at 1:48 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • Regardless of the state you live in, you are probably fine. My husband and I were legally married but seperated for 8 months and I collected food stamps. It would be worth while to call your case worker and run it past them.

    Answer by eSamsMama at 2:12 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • If you need them sure why not.

    Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • Well even if you are married technically your seperated and if he doesn't give you nay money you have no choice but tp try to get them. I don't see you in the wrong at all.

    Answer by hill2 at 3:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • You are fine. You probably should have said married living apart but as long as you were not getting money from him it should be ok.

    Answer by admckenzie at 3:49 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.