When did you pump to get a supply of breastmilk on hand?

My son is eating every 1 1/2 hours. I'm finding that when I try to pump there is no milk left. I'd like to know some pointers on maybe increasing my milk supply or finding out how you all did it. I need some milk on hand for emergencies. I'd also like to be able to give my son to my parents so my husband and I can have a date.

Dodie702

Asked by Dodie702 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try pumping while he is napping or on one side while he eats on the other.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 12:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Well since my daughter was in the NICU I had to pump. So it goes that the milk will increase as needed. So perhaps you can do some warm showers on your breasts to help. Then pump. Make sure to eat good and plenty. Take your vitamins as well. I hope this helps!
    Merry Christmas!
    CloudWeaver

Answer by CloudWeaver at 12:44 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I would pump in between, but my son only ate every 3 hours. And I would stay up later than he did, so I would pump right before I went to bed.
    If you want a "date night" you can supplement with formula as well. I didn't at first with my first 3 and by the time they were older and I wanted to - it was too late and they wouldn't take it. With my 4th, I started early supplementing with formula (only when I was going to be gone for a few hours - not daily or even weekly) so I had a little more freedom, even when I didn't have a stash of breastmilk ready to go.

Answer by missanc at 12:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Just use formula. It's OK to use occasionally. It's nice to fall back on when you need it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• there is something called mothers tea (I think thats the name) also funegreek helps increase supple, drink lots of water, even oatmeal is suppose to help, and of course nurse often, supply on demand :) Also, try to nurse on one side while pumping on the other. Try nursing at night as well to increase milk supply, also pumping in the early morning most women find they have more milk. Make sure that your pump is not old and is a good quality pump as well. Thats all I can think of for now. GL and Merry Christmas :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:01 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• You will get the most milk in the AM between 4 and 8. Also, pump one side while baby nurses the other. This can take some practice,but you can also massage while you pump that breast one handed while nursing the baby...you will get twice the yield with massage. That should be enough for your needs...however, if you want to increase supply pump between feedings also even if you get very little. The pump isn't as efficient as baby, but the stimulation still works regardless.

Good link demonstrating massage to increase production in the same amount of pumping time:   http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• pump while you nurse, increase your liquid intake 64 oz at least a day. oatmeal, fernugreek. mothers milk tea. nurse on demand. how old is the baby?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:20 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• If you can, wait until the baby naturally gets into a pattern of stretching a feed to every 3-4 hours (this usually happens briefly between growth spurts when young) before going out on a date. The constant feeds are there to build your supply so as tempting as it might be...wait for that stretch of feeding time. It's really hard otherwise. I had to go back to work part time and was away for only 4 hours a few days a week but it was really hard for her during spurts ... so avoid that if you can. And remember when you miss a feed...PUMP!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:22 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I breastfed 3 children each until they were over 2, had lots of emergencies, but never needed to have pumped milk.

If you go on a 'date' you can nurse before you go and then be gone 2-3 hours so you will be home to nurse again. This is what my son and DIL did and I would care for their baby. I never wanted to go on 'dates' and leave a nursling that wasn't eating solids.

There are very, very few emergencies that require you to have milk on hand. If you are hospitalized you can have your baby in your room as long as there is someone there to help take care of the baby. I had to be hospitalized with pneumonia and septicemia when my premature baby was only 4 weeks old and I was able to keep him in my room and nurse him.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• When should you pump if you're home with your baby and fully breastfeeding? Here are some tips you may find helpful:

* Try pumping in the morning. Most women get more milk then. Many moms find it works well to nurse on one side and pump the other side first thing in the morning.
    * Pump 30-60 minutes after a nursing and at least an hour before a nursing. This leaves plenty of milk for your baby at the next feeding.

If your baby wants to breastfeed right after a pumping, go ahead. Your body is always producing milk so your breasts are never truly "empty". Some babies are patient and feed longer to get the milk they need. Just keep going back and forth from breast to breast until your baby is done.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2009