Scratching...

I have to constantly have my daughters hands in mittens, shes just over 9 weeks, however i feel that i am depriving her of things, she wont grab onto anyhting but a finger... But the minute i take her mitties off, no matter how short her fingernails are, she digs herself in the face or legs... its not like shes itching, it looks like she doesnt even mean to do it. I just feel so bad. Other than that she is smiling and gooing she says Ahh goo all the time now, shes been rolling over for a month and a half, shes knows who mommy and daddy are,,, i just wish she could have her mitties off... anyone else deal with this or have any ideas? when she scratches herself she makes herself bleed and screams bloody murder...

AlyssaDevonsMom

Asked by AlyssaDevonsMom at 1:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby did this too. It is fine. My daughter did this for the first four weeks...sometimes it looked as if she'd rip her own eyeball out. We just helped he to detach her hands from her face, but never hindered her even thought it was scary. Take her mittens off, they are probably exacerbating the problem because there is no deterrent to learning not to and interferes with tactile sensation and control. The scratches are minor and will heal.

For her legs at least, just keep some pants on her.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:12 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• she's not doing it on purpose...at that age children don't have full control over their hand movements...my son does it too and he's 4 months old, he's not doing it to hurt himself, it just happens when he moves his hands around
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• oh i know shes not doing it on purpose, i do keep pants on her as we live in NH and it is always cold... but she seems to scratch through them, and she makes herself bleed and will wake herself up because she is screaming because it obviioulsy hurt, thats why im so nervouse about keeping the mitties off, but like i said i do feel really bad leaving them on...
    AlyssaDevonsMom

Answer by AlyssaDevonsMom at 1:27 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I have never heard of this before! If you are cutting and filing her nails down, I don't understand how she can possibly be scratching herself even through her pants! If you aren't using a baby nail file, in addition to clipping her nails down, try filing them down!
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• My son did the exact same thing. For his first few weeks of life, he had socks on his hands most of the time because I was too afraid to cut his nails and didn't want him digging into his face. Well I started to think that having his hands confined all the time was no good and that he wasn't going to be able to explore the world around him and develop motor skiills at the same rate...so i sucked it up and clipped his nails. I also filed them too. We haven't had the problem since!

Anonymous