Would You Let a Man Watch Your Children?

I was searching for daycare centers and came across a review for one where a woman posted "they have men working there and the place is filthy"(hers was the only bad review). Anyway, would you let your children be watched in your home by a male? How about at a daycare?

I personally don't want a man watching my children. I know there are male teachers in school as they get older, but for some reason the thought of a man coming to my home to watch my kids just weirds me out. But it wouldn't bother me in a daycare setting. I know they do background checks...so maybe that gives me some piece of mind there.

I have to go and run some errands and hang out with my kids I'll bbl to check on replies when i get some time here. :)

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 1:04 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would have focused more on the "filthy" review than the sex of the teacher. I feel as long as the guy has experience and has passed the background checks and all, I'd feel comfortable. And one bad review out of many isnt convincing enough imo. How many other reviews are there and did they also bring up the fact that the teacher is a male? What did the good reviews mention?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:07 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• No. I know there are nice men out there who just love kids but my mom instilled in me that all men are child molesters. I know that is wrong but she scared me and my sister like that to make sure we didn't let men lure us since we lived in a big city and had to walk alone lots of places. I think there are great guys out there who might make good sitters but no, I wouldn't let them sit the kids in my family. I think a lot of men have a short fuse with kids too so I don't even like the bio dads watching my grandkids unless it's for a short time or the kids are asleep. I had one son in law forget he was babysitting and left the house (and his baby son) asleep in the bed. We called to check on the baby and the moron said "OH NO!!!!!" and went home. Thank goodness he was ok but men get distracted so easily

Answer by admckenzie at 1:08 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• it wouldn't bother me..some women are unfit to watch children as are some men not all men are horrible caregivers...my brother, for example, is a wonderful father and does all of the things his kids need (baths, feedings etc) while his wife sits on her lazy butt watching tv ...so to answer your question, yes i'd let a qualified loving man watch my children as i would a loving qualified female
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Yes I would allow a man to watch my children, depending on the man. I worked in a preschool on a college campus, and the man who worked there was very beloved. He was wonderful! There are some WOMEN I wouldn't let near my children....

We need to rid ourselves of stereotypes and pre-judgments based on obvious criteria....
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Admckenzie- I'm so sorry you feel that way, and that your mother did that to you. In all honesty, I have met MORE MEN who are loving, nurturing, and fit to care for a child that was not their own, than I have women.
    men in general DO NOT have a shorter fuse than us women, and tend to be patient in many ways that we are not.

so, to answer the question, having a man watch the kids is a non issue, as ANYONE who is left alone with them has to meet certain criteria. gender is a non issue in being qualified to care for my children.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:22 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I would after i got a thorough background check..
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 1:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I was looking up daycares and found my exbf and his new gf have started a daycare and they have been so successful they are opening a second one.
    If he weren't my exbf I would take my son there. It really depends on the male. And when it comes to child molesters women do molest children.
    Anonymous

• Admckenzie - I am not sure about your particular son-in-laws and/or sons, but I think it is sad that you don't even feel comfortable with the child's father to watch them. My husband is amazing with our little baby, and he would never do anything foolish like leave the baby at home alone. In fact I feel extremely comfortable knowing I am leaving our baby in my husband's care when I am away.

In regards to the question, I would feel comfortable in a daycare setting because of all the background checks and everything; however, I would still want to make sure the daycare offered everything I wanted for my child. Also in an in-home setting whether it is a male or female I would want to know that person really well before I would leave them in charge of my child. We are lucky in regards to having two sets of grandparents nearby that are more than happy to watch their grandbaby for us.
    JewelsE

Answer by JewelsE at 1:36 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Yes, I would and have let men watch my kids. I currently have a male sitter for my 9 year old son - he's generally only here when it's just my son, but occasionally I have him watch both my son and my 8 year old daughter. I did a background check, obviously (as I do on even female sitters), but he's married and a really nice guy. Since his dad and I are divorced, I try to make sure he has as many positive male role models around as possible - this guy is training for the Olympics and very active, able to involve my son in sports. His last male sitter was a minor league baseball player and a truly nice guy as well.

Answer by missanc at 1:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• the only men who will ever watch my daughter are her father & mine. Background checks only report those offenders that have been caught & convicted. I realize not every man out there is a sex offender but I'm not willing to gamble with my daughter's innocence to find out who's good & whose not. Most molestations go unreported to anyone.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2009