Sheriff Joe Arpaio using and abusing the laws of our society again.

More than 250 lawyers and activists gathered on the steps of a Phoenix courthouse on Monday to protest Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's legal actions against county officials and local judges.

Lawyers made speeches and, in something akin to a “Kumbaya” moment, recited their lawyer oath made upon admission to the state bar, the Phoenix New Times reports. They shouted the third stanza: "I will not counsel or maintain any suit or proceeding that shall appear to me to be without merit or to be unjust."

Arpaio and Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas are garnering criticism after filing a racketeering suit accusing the county board of supervisors and at least four judges of corruption in connection with the construction of a $340 million court office tower. They have also filed bribery charges against Judge Gary Donahoe that appear to be largely based on his rulings on court matters he is overseeing.

more below..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This man appeals to a certain , ahem , type.....

I wish we could have someone that tough on criminals without all the racial profiling, abuse of power and downright ignorance that he breeds

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:20 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Defense lawyer John Curry called the legal actions an “attack on the independent judiciary," the Arizona Republic reports. “Without an independent judiciary, there is no rule of law."

The rally was held on the same day that the Arizona Republic published a letter by Yavapai County Attorney Sheila Polk, who had handled the criminal investigations regarding the county board of supervisors for Arpaio. She returned the cases to Arpaio after six months, with the exception of some pending appeals.

Anonymous

• "My brief involvement has led me to conclude that what is transpiring now in Maricopa County is wrong and a disservice to the citizens of our state,” she wrote.

“I was happy to remove myself from the cases and from contact with Sheriff Joe Arpaio,” she wrote. “My discomfort grew daily and my role in restraining potential abuses of power increasingly more difficult. It was a relief to package up the files and return them to Maricopa County."
    Anonymous

• I love Sheriff Joe and wish he would run for office!!!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:14 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• mamakirs you want someone who breaks the laws pf our society and abuses the court system to run for office?
    Anonymous

• Ya mean sort of like our President? Nope

I will wait until Sheriff Joe has been found guilty before I rush to judgement.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:31 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

_____________________________________

Oh lordy, another basher who cant keep Obama out of any post.

Anonymous

• "breaks the laws pf our society and abuses the court system"

Can you show me where he has done this anon?
    Anonymous

• Oh lordy, another basher who cant keep Obama out of any post.

and yet another basher who cannot sign their name? LOL
    Anonymous

• How about our politicians stop tossing our immigration laws aside for their agenda? ...but thats alright isnt it?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:37 PM on Dec. 23, 2009