does anyone put cereal in thier baby's bottle?

if you do, how much & how often do you do it?

xolaur18ox

Asked by xolaur18ox at 2:15 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did when my daughter was younger. She had a spit up problem and needed her formula thickened to help hold it down. I put a dash, maybe an 1/8th of a teaspoon per bottle. She was eating about 4 ounces at the time so it wasn't much, but it helped her. And yes, I asked her pedi for options and he is the one that guided me to that idea. =)
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 2:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• My pedi actually recommended against doing that... She said once the baby is old enough to try some cereal (around 6 months), try feeding it in a bowl, NEVER from the bottle.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• It's a choking hazard and makes the baby eat too much. The American Association of Pediatricians recommends against it. So I would never do it, personally.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 3:11 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• The only reason to ever put ceral in the bottle is if a doctor told you to do it becaue the baby has an actual medical diagnosis of reflux. That is the only reason. it will not make the baby sleep thru the night, and it's just a bad idea all around unless its for reflux then it can be a God send.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 3:12 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Before you do it read the info at Baby Bottles and Cereal

There are MANY reasons why you shouldn't do it. You will find plenty of moms who say "I did and my kid is fine" but I'd prefer to listen to the research studies and the Drs.

"Drawing on the wisdom of experience and the latest scientific knowledge, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against adding cereal to the bottle. It may be tempting after your 16th straight sleep-deprived night to cut a bigger hole in the feeding nipple to add rice cereal. But it won’t offer lasting help, and it may be giving your baby a lasting gift that both of you will regret."

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:01 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Some formula comes with rice already added, so its not that big of a deal unless you add like tons to it. Its a way of helping baby not spit up as much. Some comes already partially digested too, so that is another option for those that have the problem.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 1:40 PM on Dec. 26, 2009