4 month old refusing bottle

My 4 mo old boy is breast fed and has only had a handful of bottles since birth. He is now completely refusing the bottle. How do I get him to accept bottles - does anyone have any good ideas?

Val1313

Asked by Val1313 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes. I used a sippy cup. If it has a valve in it, take it out, or it'll be too hard for the baby to drink. You have to help him with it, too.

Just keep offering it, bottle or cup. But honestly, if you can ignore the bottle all together, it is just another thing you dont have to worry about later. Good luck!

Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 2:33 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Try having someon else feed him the first few times and for you to not be in sight at all. He knows that her gets feed from the breast, from you. He may take the bottle better if it is from someone else that he has no feeding assoication with.
    I would have to disagree with the pp about the sippy cup, I think he is too young and can easily get too much at once out of a sippy cup. Give that a few more months. Good luck!!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:46 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Put some breast milk on the nipple of the bottle. He will taste the breast milk and try.
    My suggestion is to get Playtex Drop-In bottles, because their nipples are seriously the closest to the breast as you can get. Babies who are bottle/breast fed prefer bottle nipples that closesly mimick the mother's breast. Drop-In nipples do just that.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:11 PM on Dec. 23, 2009