Help me please baby in painnn

Okay so for the past year my baby has been constipated well before she was on milk she was constipated but not nearly as constipated as she is now, and WILL NOT take formula now. and the dr. told me no soy milk because it'll be the same thing and gave me a laxative...it does nothing. I give her Senecot and Karo in both bottles of milk everyday....nothing. She is so constipated she is screaming at 3 am and then she will have it half way out and she literally can't push anymore so i have to put her buttcheeks on the pressure point and push it out and she is screaming in pain but i can't leave it there. and she will strain so hard she will puke. help please

RachelSutfin

Asked by RachelSutfin at 2:29 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Poor thing... Try giving her those little jars of prunes (Gerber has them). Worked wonders on my kid, a little too much, even. But if this is an ongoing problem, I'd check with the doctor again. And if he/she still doesn't seem concerned, get a second opinion. Good luck.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:32 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Definitely the prunes, or some apple/pear juice. I would back off on the milk and choose other sources of dairy for a little while, then try introducing the milk again and see if the same thing happens. She could be allergic to milk, or have an intolerance.

Answer by missanc at 2:33 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Thats all i give her is Prune juice.... nothing. i forgot to say that
    RachelSutfin

Answer by RachelSutfin at 2:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• i'm not a dr or health professional, but to me, it sounds like there is something more going on than just constipation.have you tried using the little tummys laxative drops? I use them when my 3 yr old gets constipated....of course, check with you dr if you're unsure. it works really well. If that doesn't work and your dr isn't willing to help, get a 2nd opinion. if there's anything getting backed up in her that won't come out, it could cause her health problems. if it doesn't stop, i'd definately look into something else....maybe take her to a pecialist who deals with that and see what they reccommend.
    CTC7122006

Answer by CTC7122006 at 2:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Yeah we tried a laxative and she is so backed up it seems like its a never ending thing its been two months
    RachelSutfin

Answer by RachelSutfin at 2:38 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• could you try a supositor (sp). Or try doing a rectal temp w/ vaseline. This helped my older son. When he was little any ttime I tried to do a rectal temp he'd poop all over. Otherwise call your nurse line and see if they have any ideas, or even a pharmisit (sp). GL.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 2:49 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I'm not a doctor either, but I'd try giving her some yogurt in place of some of the milk, and make it just a good one with active cultures such as Stonyfield vanilla. Don't use the low fat and you'll get all the same nutrients that are in milk EXCEPT vitamin D because yogurt isn't fortified. And you'll also get lactose free effect of all those good enzymes that regulate our digestive tract. Giving her the juice is good too, even if it doesn't appear to be helping much.

Aside from that I would definitely seek a second opinion or consider changing doctors outright. Using laxatives on a regular basis is bad even for adults, and for a baby it is just plain unacceptable. Eventually a person can't have a bowel movement without them, and they either take them for life or have to completely retrain their bowels.

I hope you can figure out what's up and she feels better soon. .
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Wait .. She has been constipated for a year straight, and her Pedi hasn't sent her in for tests? If she has been constipated that long, he should've taken her in for tests to see why her body isn't relaxing and letting the poop pass.

Prunes, Pease, and Juice helped my son. All of those made him poop when he couldn't poop.
    Maybe your daughter has an allergic reaction to dairy products, or her body can't tolerate them. Switching to soy would solve this problem as it is not a dairy product. It is a soy product, which doesn't have the same effects as a dairy product would.

Honestly, I would switch to a different Pedi if he hasn't been able to give you effective advice. Especially since he hasn't taken her in for tests to figure out what the problem really is. All the best!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• How old is she? I'd try some infant probiotics. They can help a lot with constipation. You might also want to try making sure she's well hydrated by adding some more water to her diet. Also look at the foods she's eating if she's eating any food. Infant cereal with iron can be VERY constipating, as can bananas. I'd also consider switching her to a version of her infant formula that does not contain iron for a week or two. Iron can cause major constipation.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 3:10 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I agree with find another doctor.

My son was constipated not too long ago AND he had a strep infection in his butt and OH my gosh was he in sooooo much pain. I don't think the child has or will ever hurt that bad in his life. Milk of Magnesia is good for loosening up the stools. I also agree with taking out the dairy, it can be very constipating, especially if there is an allergy.

I'm sure she has painful fissures from passing the hard stool and everytime she goes it causes pain not to mention the fact that she probably tenses her body up in anticipation of pain. Poor thing, I know how painful that is. Get another opinion and quick!
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 3:15 PM on Dec. 23, 2009