Ears: To pierce or not to pierce?

I'm contemplating getting my 6 mo. old baby's ears pierced. I can't speak for anyone else out there, but the 1st holes that my parents did when I was a little baby are the only ones that don't act up on me, ex: close up, react to every metal out there, etc. I currently have 2 holes in each ear, but I cannot wear earrings in the 2nd holes for more than a few hours maybe once a month without them going crazy and irritating me. Note that I've had my 2nd holes for about 9 years now. I've had others, but I had to permanently take the jewelry out and let it close.

I have very stubborn ears, and I'm hoping my daughter doesn't have the same thing but in case she does, I'm looking to getting her ears pierced. I don't care about her looking more girlie, I just know the issue I've had regarding it. I don't believe there's anything but personal preference as to why/why not get baby's ears pierced. I'm really thinking this over. Opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They heal faster when done as an infant and they are less likely to touch them if they are done when she is an infant - which means less chance of infection.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 2:44 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I got my daughters pierced at 8 weeks old, and shes never had problems, never pulled on them or anything. I had mine done early like her and have no problems except like you in my other ones in my ears done later on. I'm 33 weeks pregnant with another girl and will pierce her ears at 8 weeks too. Hope that helps:).
    MizMzBowz

Answer by MizMzBowz at 2:38 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I say not. Just my personal preference is to wait until the child can really take care of the holes/earrings on their own. I was not allowed to get my ears piereced until I was about 12 and I appreciated it so much, it was so exciting. And I have never had any issues with irritation or the wholes closing up. I don't think "stubborn ears" are a good reason to get them done. Just make sure you really think it over. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I think it's her ears and she should make the decision on whether or not to pierce them when she gets older. I had mine done when I was 6 and I have regretted it several times, the holes will not close and I don't currently mind having them done - but when I was a teenager and did some modeling the agency hated that I had them pierced.

Answer by missanc at 2:41 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Pierce
    Anonymous

• exactly "prttymstng" thats one reason I wanted to get hers done early.. She never has touched them and now I can change them out with out worry.. I think if your going to do it to do it when their babies:). I was worried if I waited she'd pull on them or even rip them out...
    MizMzBowz

Answer by MizMzBowz at 2:46 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• i got my dd pierced at 3 mts. no regrets. she is almost 3 now and no problems
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:48 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Oo0 Girl I went through this same delimma too! I finally decided to wait until she was old enough to want them. I still think that my baby woudl be cute with pierced ears but I think it should be her choice, her rite of passage. Who know she may be a tomboy and never want earrings!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 2:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I did with my daughter (she is 5 now) and I would say I regret it. I agree with the other poster. Wait until they can take care of themselves. You are subjecting them to unecessary pain purely for looks (I understand in some cultures it is a tradition). I'd wait until she asks for them.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I don't agree in any child getting their ears pierced until they are at least 11 years old. That's just my opinion.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2009