How high of a heart rate for how long is dangerous?

I was just discharged from the hospital yesterday morning after being in since Saturday. I was admitted because upon arrival my heart rate was in the 170's at rest. I have cardiomyopathy and my cardiologist told me to go in. I was basically just monitored while I was there, and given potassium. Nothing substantial done or tested. Now, being home, my heart rate is back up. It is in the 130's at rest and goes into the 150's if I move at all. I know exactly what my cardiologist would say if I called him, but I really don't want to go back into the hospital since I have a defibrillator implanted, so any fatal arrhythmia would be shocked away with that on my own. Should I suck it up and go back to the hospital or just deal with it at home the best I can?

SuperMomOfSeven

Asked by SuperMomOfSeven at 2:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Health

• I wouldn't play with this. I'd call my doctor and just ask the question....or the ER.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• You could also call the nurse's station where you were just released and ask them the question. Sometimes getting an answer from a nurse is easier than from a doctor. She can answer a general question like that and if she's in the cardio wing then she'd know her stuff.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I'd be looking for a new cardiologist if that's all they're telling you to do. I have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and I've switched cardiologists 3 times because I'm not getting the help I need. Another suggestion in the meantime is check out the Mayo website (Mayo clinic in Rochester Minnesota, not sure what the site is but it's easy to google) and see what they say - they have a lot of good info.
    Anonymous

• I would defenitly go in to the hospital!
    Wow2boyz

Answer by Wow2boyz at 6:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2009