Hospital Bag

I am nearly 31 wks. I am wanting to start preparing for the hospital stay. I know dear hubby will be a nervous wreck and will not be able to pack the bag. Will everyone please give me some input on what needs to go in my bag, hubby's bag, and my little angel's bag? I want to keep from having to send hubby home. I told him I do not want him to leave the hospital at all!

mommytoangel407

Asked by mommytoangel407 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Just basics - a change of clothes for you and dh, plus something for your lo to wear home. A blanket to cover her/him with. Toiletries (they gave me a trial size of soap, shampoo, lotion - but some hospital don't I understand). Make sure to leave room in your bag to bring home diapers, wipes, baby soap, bottles, and formula that the hospital may give you.

Answer by missanc at 4:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Make sure you bring enough comfy clothes for yourself, heat pad, anything you think you might need, you probably won't be there long so don't over pack. For the baby, an outfit, take home outfit, stuffed animal, blanket (I let my baby wear the clothes they provided so I wouldn't have to pack a lot of un-necessary stuff). Hubby toiletries, clothes, pillow. GL and Congrats!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 4:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Here is what I packed: toiletrie bag, pads, sweat pants, big shirt, big undies, hair brush, labor papers(positions to labor in), nursing bras, nursing pads, nipple cream, socks, camera, and cell phone charger.
    For SO: change of clothes swim shorts (wanted him to help me in the shower while laboring), snacks and cell phone charger.
    For Baby: burp cloths, onesie, coming home suit, blanket, nail clippers and car seat.

Now I didn't use my nursing pads or the nipple cream since my milk hadn't came in while I was there and my nipples weren't sore. The only thing we even used for the baby was the coming home outfit and blanket to cover him up with while in the car seat. SO really didn't need anything but a change of clothes and his contact stuff, which was in my toiletries bag. Bring anything to make you comfortable, it'll help!
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 4:32 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I packed all the obvious things but what I was really grateful for was the Lanolin for my nipples and extra pillows that I brought from home- my nursing pillow, a regular pillow and a body pillow (seems excessive but I really used them all). I was there for five days due to high BP. And a nail file for baby- they come out with some pretty long nails! LOL! Good luck - it will be here before you know it. And pack in advance or have a list handy for go time- I ended up getting induced a week early and had to rush home to pack first because I had nothing. Hubby had to make a few trips between home and hospital during my stay for forgotten items- although I think a little break was good for him, and maybe for me too. :)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Definitely bring some chap stick and something to keep your mouth watery... If your dr okays it. I brought Starbursts. Dont worry about bringing pads. They give you enough in the hospital to last for two weeks. Dont take underwear either. Not even maternity. They will just get ruined and wont be very comfy. Camera, cell phone charger, pillows of any sort, I didnt need a nail file for baby but you might, lotion/body cream to be rubbed with because you will be in pain before and after baby, car seat... I brought a few of my own gowns for labor and just some really big jammies for afterward... Reading material (you could get stalled and really need this!), entertainment for him.

For baby, I didnt really need much. A few onesies, socks, hats, pacifiers.Thats about it. The hospital should provide you with diapers and bottles, regardless if you breast feed or formula feed. Some even provide you with cute hand made hats and pacis
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 6:04 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Don't forget that Boppy!
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• i totally didnt even think about bringing a bag for hubby, then i felt really bad. we were over an hour fromhome, so running back wasnt an option lol.

remember toiletries. i forgot shampoo and that kinda stuff, and that sucked lol.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 10:31 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• just basically pack for an overnight stay is what my doc told me. the big things are change of clothes for you and hubby, going home clothes for baby, toiletries for you and hubby, pads, nursing bra, and pillows. and remember hospitals are cold so bring warm socks and slippers!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• change of clothes for u both, something for you to wear home (you'll still be maternity size), socks and slippers for walking the room/halls. i suggest a bathrobe to throw over the hospital gown while there. If you don't want dh to leave the room bring snacks in case cafeteria is closed, something to entertain him if it's a long wait until contractions (like his Ipod etc.) Going home outfit for baby -- they usually offer to take a photo of baby too (you can choose to order prints later if you like it) so plan outfit for that. I think toiletries are essential, a good shower after birth is soo refreshing and having scented soap/lotion would be pampering, along with normal things (toothbrush, makeup if you like, contact/glasses etc.) They will provide most diapers, wipes, infant formula samples etc. so make room to take that stuff home.
    2rays0fsun

Answer by 2rays0fsun at 10:47 PM on Dec. 27, 2009