Would you rather receive a gift card or an actual gift?

Here's what I'm getting at, for the past few years we've gotten my sil and her hubby a gc to different local restaurants, they've gotten us various gifts that are just as impersonal, but with the added bonus of being completely not our taste. One year they gave me a pair of oil lanterns that hang on the wall "because you like the country look". Now admittedly I grew up on a cattle ranch, but we have no country influences in our house at all.

So I guess my question if would you rather get a gc that while maybe doesn't show a lot of though, does at least let you get something you would actually like. Or would you rather get a gift that shows that the person does not know you at all - or that they know you, but don't care enough to find something that is actually your taste?

canadianmom1974

Asked by canadianmom1974 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The "I grabbed the first thing I saw in the store mentality" is why we only give to children now. I don't need to send my brother a gift card so he can send me a gift card. And I definitely don't need my MIL to buy me shoes (happened more than once, I have trouble buying shoes when I have my feet along to try them on. There is no way in he!! that she is going to be able to by me shoes! What a moron!) So anyway, not that I am ungrateful either, but it is easier to focus on the kids.

Anonymous

• Just wanted to add before I get bashed for being ungrateful, that I do appreciate that they think enough to get my a gift, and that I do thank them nicely. I just don't see how if "it's the thought that counts" a gift that shows no thought about me or my tastes means anything other than "I grabbed the first thing I saw in the store - here you go".
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I'll take the gift card

Answer by admckenzie at 4:03 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I would prefer a gift. I think maybe your sil was doing that just to be rude to you though.
    Anonymous

• Unless I say Specifically something I want, I rather get a gift card.

Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 4:04 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• If you are hard to shop for then a gift card is just fine. Maybe they know you havent liked the gifts so they just get you a card so you can pick your own. That does to me sound like alot of thought. I personally dont care. I am hard to shop for heck I dont even know what I would like. Gift cards are just fine
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Gift card because i am picky and i dont like ugly stuff. sorry i am being truthful and honest. my mom and grandma i dont like certain things. they are not allowed to buy me clothes or shoes because obviously those things are personal to a person. They live far away and i always have to try on clothes. So i tell them not to buy me nothing and buy the kids stuff. but if they did buy me stuff, it would be scarfs and gift cards because i like buying my own stuff. im not spoiled nor a brat/rude. this is how i am and they deal with it. my husband on the other hand knows the things i love which are anything wiccan, celtic, pagan, books, music, the type of clothes i wear and lingerie so its not hard for him.
    Whats wrong with a lantern? i think those are cool
    Anonymous

• Gift card
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 4:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• The best gifts are the ones that people hear you say you would like to have. It's usually something that I wouldn't buy for myself mostly because it's not a necessity and seems a bit frivolous.  I love buying things like that for people, too.  That's why we need to really listen to what people are saying when we are with them.  They are always giving us gift ideas, and it makes shopping so much fun.  

NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• It depends on who it is from. If they dont know whant I like, Id prefer a gift card. I do not like taking stuff back. But overall, I think gifts are more meaningful . Unless you are having financial issues, then a visa gift card is desirable.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 4:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2009