how do i get my 6yr old son to stop sucking his thumb ?

ProudMommy9404

Asked by ProudMommy9404 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't have any good advice for you, but I just wanted to tell you that I sucked my thumb until I was in high school. I think I was a pretty well adjusted kid, I am definitely a pretty together adult, I just had a really strong dependece on the thumb sucking growing up. My parents did try things throughout the years- gloves, a retainer I was supposed to wear at night to align my teeth but that conveniently prevented me from thumb sucking at the same time (which I would take out as soon as they were out of the room so I could suck my thumb). Eventually in middle school they set a "quit date" of Spring Break and we packed up my baby blanket and put it away and I was to stop thumb sucking. After three sleepless nights of sobbing I discovered my comforter to be almost as good as my baby blanket, resumed thumb sucking in secret and did that until high school. I eventually just gave it up on my own at around 15.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:16 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Not to say that your son has to quit because he wants to but that was how it was for me. And after my parents essentially tried to force it I ended up thumb sucking in secret which I think was worse, I felt sort of ashamed that I still did it but not ashamed enough to want to stop, just to hide it. Now if it is affecting your sons teeth then there is a medical problem, maybe you can reason with him, and for me the blanket and thumb sucking went hand in hand so one was no good without the other. But this is a tough issue, if your son does it for comfort it will probably be really hard for him to stop. Does your pediatrician have any recommendations? Whatever you do, please be sympathetic and compassionate with your son. It isn't something you just stop like that and move on. Good luck to you and your son!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:20 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• My daughter is a thumb-sucker also, and also 6 years old. She had a pillow case that she latched onto then she was an infant. The pillowcase and thumb-sucking went hand-in-hand. This past summer she agreed to trade that pillowcase for a new bicycle. Like the previous comment, she quickly realized that the corner of her blanket was just as good to her as her pillowcase.
    Sorry that I don't have any advice, but you're definitely not alone.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 5:14 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I agree with MaryMW. I used to suck my fingers and I was FORCED to quit in the 2nd grade by my parents and dentist. I stopped for a little bit but less than a year later, I started sucking my thumb. My parents tried to force me to stop so I just did it in secret. I finally stopped thumb sucking the summer before 9th grade, cold turkey, because I wanted to. Once I decided I wanted to quit, I had no more desire to do it. So dont force him, let him quit on his own.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 6:32 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• put vinegar on your sons thumb. Make sure you get it under his finger nails. Doctors say not t use hot sauce anymore. Or you can try and buy him some special gloves. Band aides might work too. I just used vinegar.
    busymom1107

Answer by busymom1107 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• well thnk you everyone for ur advice i just wanted to say that i will make him stop when it comes to doc sayin he has too or else he will have to wear a damn cage on his head an who wants there kid to wear that an in school at the same time i rather him wear braces then a cage point blank but when it comes to this kinda of a issue then it has to be stoped i have tryed alot sour stuff an he sucks it right off an keeps on hot sauce lol an that dont even work ill fig out sumthing but, it will stop thnk you again everyone an hope u had a MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR
    ProudMommy9404

Answer by ProudMommy9404 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Let your son know that you do not like him sucking his thumb and that babies suck their thumbs and that he is a big boy
    Alicia10-2-08

Answer by Alicia10-2-08 at 7:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2009