Sippy cups

My DD is 9 months old and she has her bottom teeth, and her top ones will be all the way through in about a week or so. I introduced her to a sippy cup around 7 months and she was okay with it. Now I try to slip one to her at least 2-3 times a day. When should she be completely on a sippy cup, and do I have to worry about the damage a bottle will do to her teeth?

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 4:22 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As soon as she is comfortable with a sippy cup you can go ahead and wean from the bottle when you are ready. I don't think you really have to worry about the bottle damaging her teeth until she's 18 months or older, as long as she isn't going to bed with one and you brush her teeth at night and in the morning.

Answer by missanc at 4:25 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• my daughter is 15 mos, and still drinks milk from a bottle, but sippy cup for water and juice, she won't drink her milk out of a sippy cup I've already tried.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 4:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• My son is 15 months and only has a bottle before bed at night. I am working on weaning him from that one too. He started on a sippy cup for juice at 6 months because the doctor said he could have juice and not to give it to him from a bottle. He could hold it on his own so he could have it. I started giving him all of his drinks from a cup only around 10 months. He didn't want his milk from a cup at first either until he switched to whole milk then he was ok with it. Now he has a cup for milk and one for water or juice and he drinks what he wants from each cup.
    AshesPashes

Answer by AshesPashes at 5:31 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• The sippy cup will damage her teeth just as much, if not more than bottles. Pediatric dentists strongly recommend against the use of sippy cups because they often become "virtual bottles" that young children carry with them to sip on sweetened beverages throughout the day. This has the same negative consequences for dental health as drinking bottles in bed, a greatly increased risk of dental caries (cavities).
    If you only use them like you would a regular cup (such as while sitting at the table during meal times) they are fine. Bottles are fine as long as you use them like they should be used (such as mom holding baby for a feeding, then the bottle is taken away). Bottles are only a problem for their teeth if they are allowed to have it in bed or walk around sipping from it.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Pediatric dentists strongly recommend against the use of sippy cups because they often become "virtual bottles" that young children carry with them to sip on sweetened beverages throughout the day

__

Not necessarily true. Our son ONLY drinks water. Having them carry around water all day is perfectly healthy and good for them.

As far as age... my son had a night bottle with whole milk until he was about 15 months. Now it is only sippy cup & we will keep using it as long as possible!

RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2009