What surprised you about becoming a parent?

I was thinking the other day- I was prepared for pooping on the table (thankfully, I didn't, lol! TMI, I know...) and diapers and teething and babyproofing and sleepless nights and PPD...what I was not prepared for, though, were the ear infections and fact that my son can already reach the countertops and the idea that I actually would lose a job from staying home with my sick child so frequently, and also shocked at how quickly he was able to eat real food and how quickly he became a real boy. What surprised you about your baby and becoming a parent?

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 4:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was VERY shocked and surprised by quite a bit actually. Lol, the first night my first daughter was home she pooped and it was runny and went EVERYWHERE!!!! I was scared to death and didn't know what to do, lmao.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I think what surprised me the most is how quickly they grow up and how I still dont' know what I'm doing half the time! Just when I had mastered babies they became toddlers, just as I got used to toddlers they hit school age.... it just keeps going!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:49 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• How much sleep I could live without!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• How I keep going and going and going, and get up the next day and do it all over again. And that my first daughter would advance so quickly and that I would have another daughter sooo soon!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 4:53 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• that monotony will not kill you, and that no matter how many times you wake up and do the same things all over again- you still look forward to doing it all over again tomorrow. I'm going to have horrible empty nest syndrome when they grow up!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:10 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• The responsibility for another person/s for 18 years. And the financial responsibility for 18 years too. Raising a child is expensive.

Answer by louise2 at 5:14 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• What suprised me was how happy with my life I have become and how much I love my little girl more than anything in this world.
    Alicia10-2-08

Answer by Alicia10-2-08 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• What surprised me when I became a mom was how judgemental my family is. I've lived with this for the last 22 years, and it only got worse when my son was born and diagnosed with autism. I mean, isn't family supposed to be supportive? I guess not.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 5:24 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I was prepared for it to be the best joy ever, but on so many levels, how it can just plain suck.

I was not prepared for how much it would changed the family dynamic with extended family. I was not prepared for the self entitlement and neediness others would feel about MY children or what lengths others would got to fulfill personal fantasies they've been harboring about having grandchildren from before they had grandchildren.
    I wasn't prepared to being the constant b*tch for having MY children's best interest in mind, while others do not.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 5:27 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• nwdeserangel I couldn't have said it better!! Totally agree, I constantly feel like a bitch.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 23, 2009