Anyone overbuy at Christmas?

Last year I started shopping for small things in August. Everything was hidden in the closet. When it came time to put the stuff under the tree - holy cow! It was a lot!! And we're not talking lots of high-ticket items or anything, but it was still a lot of stuff!

I'm not sure what I got this year altogether but I think it's probably a lot too!

I don't have a specific budget. I just get what I get and when I'm buying I know whether what I got is in my range of what I can spend or not.

(Oh, and don't say I should have given stuff to needy people instead, because I did that too!)

I just read the stuff on here of people who can only get their kids a few things and think, wow, what did I do? Anyone else not really realize all that they've bought for Christmas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Holidays

• I think those of us who start shopping early usually do get more than they realize.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I always end up with way too many stocking stuffers. One year I just put half the stuff in their stockings and saved the rest for little prizes and treats during the year. I usually don't end up with too many wrapped gifts or Santa gifts - I have 3 for each child this year, and even though I found more stuff later I was good and didn't buy more. Of course it looks like I have enough to fill their stockings 3 times each again this year!
    Anonymous

• Yeah. A little.
    I get started early buying stuff for my son. Then I always end up buying a few more things because he has asked for it or I know he'll love it.
    I over did it a little for dh this year too. I bought him a few things...then a few more...then one thing that I knew he really wanted.... but then he mentioned another thing and I noticed how old is robe is getting and I decided I had to stop. As it stands I have spent twice as much on him as he has on me (not that it matters).
    Now that I think about it, I kind of went over board for my brother too. *sigh*
    It's a good thing I love a good bargain. :)
    honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 5:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• yes lol i really spent alot this year over 2000 on my dd lol but me n my hubby cam afford it this year so its all good ha
    MiasMommy6908

Answer by MiasMommy6908 at 5:48 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I ALWAYS end up with more than I thought I had. I to start in May or June.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Nope. I start shopping early and make a list with everyone names and what they want. We really try to not spend enormous amount because xmas to us is more about spending time with each other. Our son has 7 gifts and I think that is plenty! I would say all in total including parents, our son, our brothers/sisters we spent: 350.00 tops. We really just buy through out the year when we find a really good deal we think our son or someone will like.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:07 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Every year. I start shopping in January for the next Christmas. I buy a gift here and there when I see something on sale, or something unique that I know someone will love. I usually buy my kids big gifts right before Christmas, because what they want can change at the end, but I have piles of things for them under the tree. It's not like we have money, but buy shopping all year we can spoil them a little at Christmas.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• me me me...I also start early and yeah it adds up. this yr we actually got most everything on sale but they ended up with alot! We spent less than normal though and most gifts are small. We did not do a big gift this yr. We have 3 but I did not go over board on the bbay 20mos old that is!

hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I always overbuy for my kids at Xmas and sometimes DH too. I start buying for the kids in October and buy hiding it, I do forget all that I have and don't realize it until it's time to wrap. Oh well, I don't buy them too many toys year-round so I don't mind that they get so much for xmas. Their total last I counted was 16 gifts each and I spent well over $1K.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 10:12 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I do every year. We get most of ours in Feb. Then I pick up more throughout the year. Next year it will be a little less. Becuase my oldest son is getting a laptop that and a wii will probably be the only things he gets and then my others want a wii and new tvs. The youngets son is getting a power wheel and my youngest daughter a fur real pony if I can find one if not a huge stuffed horse.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 8:26 PM on Dec. 25, 2009