at what age did/will you allow your kids to use a dinner knife?

Ds is 3.5 y/o he is allowed to use our speader to spread pb&j and cut his sandwhich but I'm wondering when to upgrade him to a "real" knife. Thanks

mom06and09

Asked by mom06and09 at 5:07 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well, my dd has her own set for cooking (she is 8), and uses those with supervision... and has since she was about 5- the kid loves to cook, and that was the age that I began using knives in the kitchen. it's great to have her around to help prep holiday meals!!!

at the table, well, we usually do not eat things that require cutting beyond what a butter knife would be required for- and all of the kids are allowed to use those, since the serrations are not sharp. I prefer that they become comfortable handling a knife, and learning how to do so safely, at a young age.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:15 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• My DD is 4, and she uses a plastic serated knife. I have let her use a regular knife, because she cuts very well, but I supervise her closely, as she doesn't get all the dangers of it yet. She knows it is sharp, and that she can cut herself, but doesn't think about how it could harm those around her, if she isn't really careful. But, I think if you supervise, and teach proper cutting (fingers out of the way, etc.), whenever you feel he is ready would be fine.
    KadenTaeasmom

Answer by KadenTaeasmom at 5:15 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• My 3yo is allowed to use butter knives. Some of the ones we have are serrated. They could scratch you up but never cut you.
    My older kids are allowed to use steak knives. They are 9, 8 and 7. My son (the 8yo) has been using a steak knife since he was 5. The girls never showed any interest in cutting their own food. The 7yo is just now getting the dexterity and coordination to actually cut her food and use a knife.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:08 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• My DD is 7yrs old and she is allowed to use a butter knife. And when she is supervised a steak knive
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• My kids used butter/table knives from the time they were 2 or 3. They used to love to cut up their own bananas, butter their bread, and things like that. They started using sharp knives (supervised) at around 4 or 5. They have always liked to help out in the kitchen and learned to help cut up foods and cook simple dishes pretty early.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:30 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• My 3-1/2 year old is welcome to use a butter knife whenever we eat and whenever she can help prepare meals. She is also allowed to use our bread knife with *very* close supervision to cut her sandwiches, spaghetti noodles, etc. With my hand over hers she has also used the normal big knives to chop things up for dinner.
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 10:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2009