Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I get my child tested for Autism when we only have medicaid?

I have been trying to get our son tested for 2 years now,there are doctors who want the money up front.They demand you pay them $1800.00.Money that we don't have.We are in Denver and Denver Health doesn't do that test I have been told.He has not learned anything at school since we register my son in 9-2007-present 2009,and he is in the MI special ed class.He picks up bad behavior since he started going to Teller school in August 2009,He brings home the behavior and acts out alot.He also has ADHD,and Moderate MR.his other school closed their program at Cole

Answer Question

Asked by snowqueen123 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Instead of requesting a "test for autism" (there really isn't any such thing, btw), get a referral from your child's primary care doctor to a developmental pediatrician, pediatric neurologist or pediatric & adolescent psychiatrist that takes your child's insurance. Do not say you want to test your child for autism, instead say that you would like to have your child evaluated because he doesn't seem to be making any progress and you would like to know why.

    Also, your school district should be providing appropriate services to meet your child's educational needs. If you can prove that he is not making progress in the curriculum, then they must change what they are doing. Call an IEP meeting & start making some noise.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • Have the school do an evaluation or ask the doctor for a referral. Medicaid should pay for the evaluation anyway. My son has seen specialists many times on medicaid.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • In Chicago, testing for children is available through the Board of Education; I would start with your local school district.

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:36 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

  • Request a child study at the school they have to do one if a parent requests it in writing!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

  • you can also go to the library and see what you can learn from the books on that case. to make sure he has those symtoms, and then go have him tested some how. like they mentioned above.

    Answer by incarnita at 10:35 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.