How do you get/make friends on cafemom? I'm used to f.b. where you know who your friends are, not just screen names. Is that the apeal to c.m. being behind a screen name? Don't get me wrong, I like cafemom.

SSSMOM025

Asked by SSSMOM025 at 6:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in About CafeMom

• The way I've accumulated friends is joined groups that interest me and then read posts that others post and find someone like minded or who really interests me and then ask them to be friends.
    kristinas8

Answer by kristinas8 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Well just because you have a name doesn't mean you really know a person. =) So the way I get to "know" people here on CafeMom is through groups. You just have to find some that you like and are comfortable with. =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 6:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Answer someone journal in the journal area and you usually get an invites or join groups.

Anonymous

• you should be able to search people by their real names, I remember I checked a box when I first joined so that some people couldn't search me by my real name(I have some drama in my real life). hmmmm........ does that sound right?
    TXColter

Answer by TXColter at 3:52 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I have never been able to get how facebook works. I have been there for at least a year and have like 8 friends. How on earth do people meet new people there? I don't see how staying in your sphere of acquaintances is making new friends. The friends I do have there I only know, because I know them from somewhere else. How is that different from here, really?

I have 300+ friends here and well over 100 of them are very active friendships that we all keep up with. I have traded calls, cards, presents,visits and letters with most of these people. I know more about what is going on in their lives than I do extended family members. As Fire said above, just because you have a name doesn't mean squat. I actually have a friend on my FB list with the same exact name as me and there are hundreds of people that pop up when you search my hubby's name.

Anonymous

• if you want to make friends here, get involved.
    Join some groups that match your interests, or make one of your own.
    Join one of the chat groups or click on active chats in the groups tab to see what groups have chats going right now.
    Play the games and explore the help forums.
    Add a scavenger hunt or a gift widget to your page and follow the links to see who else has that widget.
    Make comments on journals or photos. You click right on the tab to see new or popular entries.

cont
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 11:07 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Use the meet moms tab:
    Do a search in mom search for location, age, religion, relationship, work, interests children, challenges or political views
    Click on the tab and get a list of moms near you, moms who you might like (with similar activity as you) Moms who have listed the same interests as you and there is also a make friends chat link.
    You can access the thought bubbles across cm, see the popular journals/journalists, moms with a birthday today, moms who have a cm anniversary today, moms with new babies and moms who are expecting.

Th parenting and life & home tabs at the top of the page, the special section links in the sidebar and the around cafemom section at the bottom of the page also have great links to click to what's going on around CM click on the links that interest you and you might run across new people.

When you come across a mom you think you might like, leave a comment for her or a chatterbox message
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 11:14 PM on Dec. 25, 2009