Is Raisins a good snack?

My son is almost a year old and I was wondering if raisins is a good snack?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 6:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes, they are natural and help with aiding bowel movements
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:52 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Just a few at a time. They can make bm's very loose.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 6:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• ARE raisins a good snack sure just watch him so he doesnt choke and what not
    Anonymous

• I always waited on raisins because of the choking hazard. All the daycares I have worked in wouldn't give raisins to children under the age of 2.
    Anonymous

• If your son has a couple back teeth and demonstrates he can chew the raisins well, yes. But otherwise absolutely not. Try pinching a raisin in your fingers - does it "squish" - and then try dumping water on it - does it melt? ? Usually not. This is a good test to see if foods are safe. Foods that do not squish and do not melt are bad foods IMO for kids without any back molars. You could always blend up/slightly food process the raisins and put it in yogurt or just put the blended raisins on his tray - that'd be a much safer way for your baby to enjoy raisins. Other bad foods I found are fruit that is not very ripe or apples. People often recommend apples (like giving apple slices) but my son always chokes on them. Bad idea IMO. Do not give popcorn (the little skins inside are choking hazards) or peanut butter/nutella (atleast not in globs), either.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 9:47 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Better snacks are.. soft ripe fruits (like kiwi, avacado, melons of all types with seeds removed, ripe peaches, very ripe pears, etc. etc. etc.) cooked vegetables of most types (some are ok raw or slightly cooked, but usually they need to be steamed or baked - you can steam most stuff really fast), whole grain/alternative grain crackers/firm biscuits/toast/toasted muffins, tofu squares, yogurt, scrambled eggs (kindof messy but they love it lol), cooked potatoes of varying types, sweet potatoes either mashed or baked and cut up or sweet potato fries, etc. etc. I mean the list is endless. For "out and about" snacks I like to give my son alternative grained crackers and I take along some melon pieces in a baggy and organic yogurt (has less sugar) or I bring some cheddar cheese, sometimes I bring some par-cooked long green beans and wrap the stuff in a big cold pack. Great snacks and not dangerous for him like raisins.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 9:58 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Oh,and I forgot to mention I like colbyjack cheese as opposed to hard cheddar because it is softer but yet firm enough he can hold it without immediately squishing it/making a mess. :)

Sometimes I also pack one of those little containers of cottage cheese.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 10:01 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• IF you child has trouble with dairy, I would go with goat cheeses, almond milk in sippy, and soy yogurt.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 10:03 AM on Dec. 24, 2009