Migraines?

What helps you? The only thing that gets rid of them is vicodin and I am almost out!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Health

• I've dealt with migraines for abotu 14 yrs and finally, only about 5 yrs ago, got them under control. I've literally tried 10 or more different meds (OTC and prescription) for them and nothing worked. I am now taking a preventative every day called Zonegran (generic brand). In higher dosages, it's for seizures but in smaller dosages, it treats migraines. When I get an attack, either a few Excedrin or Advil Migraine takes the edge off (doesn't make it go away but at least to where I can somewhat function). The other triptans (sp?) never seem to work for me. :(
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 7:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Carrot juice, almond butter...they both alkalize the system...it took me YEARS to figure out that my triggers are what many peoples triggers are only they don't even know it, tomato sauces, vinegar, citrus (a common food additive, read your labels) any acidic foods will lead to a migraine...it works like this acid = inflammation= migraine...if you avoid acid causing foods and opt for alkalizing foods instead your sorrows will be over. Easier said than done I might add...you can look up the list of acid causing foods and alkalanizing foods online. Drugs only add to an already acidic/infammed environment so by opting for temporary pain relief you are in effect shooting yourself in the foot. Chug carrot juice..that's my two cents, it works for me.
    Anonymous

• I take magnesium supplements.

Do you keep a food diary? Some common migraine trigger foods are: nitrates (like in cured meats), vinegar, chocolate, cheese, tree nuts, MSG/HFCS. You may want to work with a nutritionist/dietician, or on your own, to structure an elimination diet to try to determine if you have any migraine trigger foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:29 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I have suffered for years from migraines. Finally, after many narcotics, my neurologist has prescribed Topamax. It works!, but w/one side effect. I am losing 10lbs a month. in the 4 months i have been on it i have lost 40 lbs. Also, he has had to raise the dosage. I am up to 200mg daily. There is some tingling in my hands and feet, and no appetite, also, no energy. No migraines though. I WAS overweight. Now I have been told as long as I don't go below 150 I am fine. Give me one more month, I say. I weigh 160 now. Trying my best to eat, but some days I can w/o eating anything. Don't know how long I will be on this med, but it does work for migraines, if only i could EAT! Good luck...
    Stacey833

Answer by Stacey833 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 24, 2009