Those in the mid west and other lines of this storm ...

...and plan on going to church tomorrow or Friday, is your church going to cancel? or will niether rain, sleet or snow keep your from your worship of the Lord?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I live in Indiana and last year we had a storm similar to this one. I specifically remember the church parking lot literally being frozen like an ice skating rink. My brother truck slid all over and me and my sisters almost fell like 20 times walking to the door. However, we went to church regardless. I just couldn't imagine not going to church on Christmas. This year though, I have my 4 month old son, so if it is too dangerous to go out, I'm not going to chance it this year. I could have cared less if I wiped out last year because it was only me I had to worry about, but I can't afford to break a leg this year, or worse, fall with my son...so we shall see.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:30 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Haha, I'm sorry, when I read this I had a vision of armies of mailmen braving the storm to get to church...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:33 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Mary traveled all the way to Bethlehem so I can travel a few miles to church.
    Anonymous

• We aren't getting much snow here so far, so we'll probably be able to go on Christmas Day. We used to do Christmas Eve service, but this year I just don't want to deal with the huge crowd. I get more out of Mass if there aren't so many people that I can't breathe.

In '06 we had more than three feet of snow. I don't think we were able to get out of our alley to go to church that year. I think God understood that though.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• We live in Minnesota, both have to work but I think we're staying home. My parents are of different religions so Christmas Eve we always went to my mom's church 15 miles away. I'm pretty sure GOD won't mind we stay home, pray and read a few verses from the bible tomorrow.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• We're in a rural area. Most of the members of our congregation have to drive in from the country, 10-40 miles one way. So it's church police that if we're under a storm warning of any sort (even thunderstorm warning in the summer) there is no church - purely for the safety of the members that have to travel farther. There are so few members living in town that it honestly wouldn't be worth it to have church just for a few. So, since we're under a winter weather warning from earlier today til Saturday, our Christmas morning service has already been cancelled. A lot of churches in our area actually have the same policy. I know it bothers some people, but hey, better safe than sorry IMO.
    Anonymous

• I'm not so worried about church. I HAVE to work tomorrow. I HAVE to drive an hour to work because I am the manager and have the key and corporate says you show up unless you are permitted to do other. I am praying to God that I either make it there safe and home again, or I not go and get to keep my job. I think He'll understand, he loves me!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Imo not being able to go to church does not hinder the ability to worship God. You can worship at home :) God says where three or more are gathered in my name there I am also.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:42 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• Depends on the wind. The snow has stopped here, but it is supposed to be VERY windy.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:04 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• The Catholic Church never cancels Mass because of the weather and we are going to mass this evening. We have about a foot of snow and the roads are icy but we live only a couple miles away. On Sundays with terrible weather, the local news stations scroll announcements of local protestant churches closing across the bottom of their screen.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 11:04 AM on Dec. 24, 2009