Playing favorites

Anyone have a family member who dramatically shows favortism toward one of the kids in your family? this year we are not going to my husband's family's houses because last year my son got so upset over seeing the major haul his cousin's got,and he got a robe,a truck,and pjs from grandma.It broke my heart to see his eyes well up with tears and that bottom lip go down...Its hard because with his autism,I can't explain this behavior in any way and have him understand.My MIL will spend about $300 on her daughter's boys,$150 on my brother-in-laws kids,and $20 on my son.We are at a loss to understand this.I don't care about the amounts,I just can't stand to see my son's heart broken with him seeing the obvious deficit when it comes to him.My MIL insists that the kids all open their stuff together.

TMJ121099

Asked by TMJ121099 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I completely understand why you wouldn't want to subject your child to that behavior. It is wrong on so many levels. In the end your son will know what true love and appreciation is, and she will wonder why he may not have respect for her later in life.

We have this with DH's family toward DD. This past week for Hanukah SIL gave DS1 a kite, DS2 some tourist souvenir license plate, and DD got a key chain that SIL had gotten for free. Uh, what the ????! This isn't the first time that she's done something like this. Makes a big deal over the boys' birthdays and routinely tells DD that she will "make it up to her." I don't care if you spend $10 for a gift or $100, make it equitable. I give it another 2-3 years before DD tells her where to stick the key chain.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• no I would stay home too, that is BS!
    Anonymous

• I would be pissed, Dh would say something to his mom if she did that. If she wants to favor grandkids then she should have you come over one by one so you son doesnt feel so hurt. My mom does the same thing with my sisters kids and leaves my son out hes to little to understand tho.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 7:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I agree with you, I would not go over to mil's house in this case. We insist that the boys be treated equal, now there is a slight difference due to age, but over all if you do for 1 then you have to do something simular for the rest to be fair. Life is hard enough without family making you feel worse.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 8:10 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• She should be ashamed of herself! That is disgusting behavior from a grandmother. Your poor wee one :( I would address that with her face to face but that's me, I'm not afraid of confrontation and prefer to get everything dealt with then and there.

You do what is best for you and screw everyone else. Your MIL needs to get a wake up call. Merry Christmas :)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:32 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I'm 24 now and my two aunts and grandma did that because they lived near eachother and were closer because of it (at least I assume). It hurt a lot and as a child I noticed the smallest things and I don't think they even have a clue that a child could pick up on that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Dec. 24, 2009