Tantrums!

My son's 18 months old, and lately...he's been having tantrums A LOT! I just wanted to know, at around what age did it start with your children. And any suggestions on how to control them at least as much as I can, lol. I love to hear the diff suggestions, thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my DS started getting a little attitude with me around 14 months. he's 16mo now and it's slowly escalating. When I tell him no he tests me by yelling really high pitched. If I go to pick him up, he arches his back and starts whining. Once I have him he tries headbutting. It frustrates me sooo bad sometimes and I feel like I'm failing at being a parent! I told this to my mom and she got me a book called, "Happiest Toddler on the Block" I'm only on chapter 5 but it gives a lot of insight on how a toddler thinks and why they act the way they do. It's written by an M.D. and I'm trying some of the techniques.. we've had a few less tantrums than normal so I'm going to keep trying these methods.. The book is a very easy read, written in pretty simple terms (none of that crazy long, hard to pronounce words) I'd recommend it to you. See if it helps at all :) GL!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 2:10 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• My son is 19 months and we are going through the same thing.I think its best to ignore them as much as possible so they learn they don't work.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 7:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• About 15-16 months it started and has only been getting more fun to deal with. As they get older they learn new ways around the old rules. Yelling, stern voices, spankings, ignoring them none of that has worked....the best thing for us has been time outs even if they are spent in the corner for a whole couple seconds my son turns right around a apologizes and stops. (he's almost two). Consistency is key! Time outs are your friend :) and make sure everyone is following the same disciplines you are.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• At about 18 months. And again here recently at 2 1/2. I read once that toddlers hit the "terrible two's" more often at half birthdays, like 18 months and 2 1/2, etc. From my experience so far, that's been the case. The first time around, my son got over it within a month or so and went back to being his perfectly well-behaved self (for other people, anyway, lol). Like a PP said, stay consistent, and eventually he'll grow out of it. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• just never give in. If you are at a store pick him up and go to the car. At home put him in his room
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 8:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• my son has his moments....oooooooh yeah....but we cope with them pretty well, and they never last long. They occur most when it is near his naptime or if he's hungry or bored. You have to remember, still at 18 m/o, even though he can communicate better than when he was an infant, he still can't tell you word for word what's on his mind. And because he cant communicate all that well, he may fall into a tantrum due to frustration. I try to look at the cause. If it's something as little as a tantrum over a toy that he can't open right I go down to his level and show him, and use simple words:, car open...car close..... or if he really wants that box of crackers in the store, he's obviously hungry, so I pull out the emergency snack I have in my purse and he's good to go. if he freaks out because I take away the pen in his hand, I try to distract him with crayons. these attemps dont work every time, but most of the time they do.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:43 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• my son is 13mos...and has been throwing "fits" for months now it seems like....mostly when we tell him "no" or take something away from him that he can't have. he throws himself on the floor and screams....yikes.

we just usually ignore him until he's "fit" is over. then I'll comfort him and tell him why he can't have that/do that.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 10:35 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• My daughter started around 14 months, but they are few and far between, because I ignore them and she's already realizing that they aren't beneficial . . . they make mama walk away. I don't get mad or upset .. . nothing. I simply pretend it is not happening at all.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 24, 2009