newborn sleeping in crib?

i've heard a few times now that its bad to put a newborn in the crib; it causes sids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That is not true. Newborns sleeping in a crib, granted following the guidelines...ie. no soft toys, blankets, or pillows in the crib with baby, and if baby is on his back, is perfectly safe...there is some research though that there is a slightly lower risk of SIDS when baby is in the room with his parents. Not in their bed but in a bassinet or something of that nature near them.
    Anonymous

• They didn't used to call it "crib death" or "cot death" for nothin.
    I bedshare.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• There's nothing wrong with putting a newborn in a crib to sleep - it'll be easier to get them to sleep in it when they're older. Have the crib in your room if you want. You can also get sids monitors - they set off an alarm if baby doesnt' take a breath for 20 seconds or soemthing like that.
    Anonymous

• I have coslept with all my kids. I am currently cosleeping with my 8 month old :)
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 8:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I co-sleep, but there is nothing wrong with putting your child in a crib if that is what works for you. You have to make sure there are no blankets, pillows, bumpers, or stuffed animals in there with them. ALWAYS put them on their BACK to sleep! Check on the baby often too to make sure nothing is blocking their airway. I hear a pacifier helps prevent SIDS too because it prevents them from slipping into too deep of a sleep.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 8:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Babies sleeping in cribs does increase the risk of SIDS....
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I love how some of the co sleeping moms want to put down moms who put their baby in a crib. In California, CPS was actually telling people NOT to share a bed with their newborn due to tons of smothering cases(and no they weren't drug or alcohol related neccecarily) from rolling over in their sleep. It's not dangerous, you just need to follow the safety standards for a crib, limit blankets, bedding, no pillows or stuffed animals etc. The bars should not fit a pop can. etc. I think mom's should do what works for them in this situation and not criticize. One way is no better or safer than the other. SIDS is caused by many different factors some are not ever the same, it's just a general term for an infant who dies in their sleep, crib or no crib.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• There is a protective effect against SIDS for baby sleeping close to mom. UNICEF recommends baby sleep close to mom for the first 6 months. This may be a safe bed sharing situation or a bassinet or crib near the bed. Formula fed babies should sleep in a crib/bassinet.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• i slept with my son the first week he was home, from then on he's been sleeping in his own crib... on his stomach! hes now almost 11 months. depends on what works for you.

cosleeping can cause a strain on a healthy marriage, in my opinion.
    Anonymous

• www.jsonline.com › News › Milwaukee County
    here's one
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:36 PM on Dec. 23, 2009