Fever: when to be concerned

My 8 week old just had his first round of shots at about 11:45 this morning. I know that he will most likely run a small fever and that he'll be very cranky and his legs will be sore. I took his temp a few minutes ago because he feels very warm, it's at 98.6, taken at his under arm, he's been cranky since we got home and will only be calm if he's held and sleeping. I was just wondering at what temp, taken under his arm, should I start to worry? (As soon as SO's mom gets back we'll be giving him a dose of Tylenol.

Jessie1689

Asked by Jessie1689 at 8:03 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 103! crazy huh!!! That's what they tell me and actually a 105 is the worst. If baby is cranky give him tylenol...he will be cranky for a few days and next time pleas please please ask the doctor prior to the shots so you know and dont have to worry cause its going to happen EVERY TIME :)
    Anonymous

• It's not a fever until 100.4 (99.4 under the arm). Before 2 months old, any fever is cause for concern, and you should call the doctor. After 2 months old, you can give some Tylenol (no Motrin until 6 months) and see if that helps. You should call the doctor if it gets up to 103.6 (that's any age, not just babies), if it lasts for more than a day or two, or if it's accompanied by other symptoms like lethargy, decreased appetite, dehydration, super-crankiness, etc.

And if you're worried at all, you can always call the doctor's office and tell them about what's worrying you, and they'll tell you whether it's cause for concern or what to look out for. Most of them nowadays have a nurse just to answer phone calls like that, and they won't think any less of you for it. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• As a health care provider, we do not consider a temperature a fever until 100. 103 is when I would be concerned if the Tylenol is not working. Personally, I would give Tylenol before the shots next time and continue on a routine basis for several days.
    Anonymous

• 98.6 is normal temperature for anybody.
    Anonymous

• When you take a baby's temp under their arm you have to add 1 degree. So really your baby's temp is 99.6...you should take it rectally if you want to be more accurate. Like dragonrider said, 100.4 is considered a fever and in a baby under 2 months old, the doctor needs to be notified...but most likely she will tell you to give baby tylenol and watch him. If the tylenol does not help and baby's temp continues to rise of does not go down then it is time to be concerned. 103 is considered serious and you need to see a doctor right away.
    Anonymous

• If a child is under 90 days old then they need to be seen if the fever hits 100.2. WE ended up in the hospital with my son because his was 101. If it gets higher unwrap him and then take the temp again in 10 minutes, if it's at or above 100.2 then call the doctor. Trust me, you don't want to put it off or else you might end up in the hospital like we did, I wish we would have called the doctor earlier.
    Anonymous

• According to my doc under 1 year old over 100, 1-2 102, 2-3 103, over 3 104. That is on their forehead and I do not know if there is a difference under the arm of not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Dec. 24, 2009