Sids....crib or bed?

I was wondering if a babies chances of dying from sids is high if they sleep in a crib. I heard that was true...but of course you can't always believe what you hear. I know having your baby sleep in your bed is dangerous as well bc ppl say you may roll on them or they may fall of the bed ( I myself share my bed with my infant ) But is it more likely they'd die from sids in the crib or in a bed with the parents? Thanks

sexy_can_i

Asked by sexy_can_i at 8:27 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• SIDS is caused when the child does not have the natural response to waken when the airway is restricted.A crib is much safer because the parents bed is full of fluffy blankets and pillows.Just remember-Back To- Sleep,no tummy sleep until they are able to turn on their own.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:38 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Yup what she said.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Can't say for sure 100% either way. In bed with the parents their breathing is more regulated. Stomach sleeping poses a higher risk for SIDS as does the environment. Babies exposed to cigareete smoke are more likely to die from SIDS. There are just too many variables to say. If in a crib they should be on their back with no soft toys or bedding around them. They make guard rails for the sides of the bed so their rolling off was never an issue with us either.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• SIDS is caused when the child does not have the natural response to waken when the airway is restricted

This isn't entirely right...that is just one theory on SIDS because nobody knows exactly what causes it. There are theories about gases forming in the mattress, an immature nervous system, and just a "sudden" death that is unexplainable or not preventable. Most books and doctors I have read and spoken to say to place baby on a firm surface with no fluffy blankets and pillows around. In most cases, this would mean a crib, bassinet, or cosleeper.
    Anonymous

• Even though SIDS is called "crib death" that's only because when you think of where a baby sleeps you assume a crib, but it has nothing to do with a crib, a baby can die from sids in a parent's bed, sleeping on the floor on a blanket, in their swing or bouncy chair. I think it's pretty equal no matter where they are sleeping, just follow the regular co-sleeping guidelines to be safe.
    Anonymous

• In the crib. If you are co-sleeping you are more likely to notice a change in the child's breathing pattern and wake up. Also, the mother's heartbeat and breathing helps regulate the infant's breathing.
    Anonymous

• Honestly, it depends on whose study you read. I've read studies supoprting co-sleeping as being safer and studies supporting crib sleeping as being safer. Out of the study I personally found the most thorough, the conclusion was that SIDS is more common with solo sleeping, but suffocation deaths are more common with co-sleeping. The most important thing to do is to use safer sleeping habits regardless of where the baby sleeps- there are tips to make both cribs and co-sleeping as safe as possible. I know the site www.askdrsears.com has a list of safer co-sleeping tips on their site.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:02 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I personally think that SAFE co-sleeping (sleeping with your baby in a recliner or on the couch is not safe) is safer.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:38 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I agree with MoonLover. In the research I've done, it's far safer for a breastfed baby to sleep in bed with mommy (of course there are safe bedsharing guidelines- no drug, alcohol, or nicotine influence, firm mattress, pillows and blankets kept away from baby's head, etc.). Google Dr James McKenna for more info on this. Because the (breastfeeding) mother is so attuned to her baby's needs, she's able to help regulate the baby's systems by responding to him even as she sleeps.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 7:17 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I feel it is safer for the baby to sleep with their mother. Co-sleeping is much safer than the crib. IMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Dec. 24, 2009