i have a question how can i explain to my 9 year old daughter about her first period and the way shes going to feel

i have a 9 year old daughter and shes been having cramps im trying to figure out how i can explain to her about her first periods and how her body is going to change i will like if anybody can help me and if you know any sites that are helpful thank you

ricanmami09

Asked by ricanmami09 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• just give her the basic facts of what's happening to her body, why its happening, what her body will be able to do, and tell her that is completely natural. if your doc is female, she might gain better control of her "changing/transforming' into an adult woman by hearing it from her, as well. just don't get all nervous or excited about it..its a lot to handle at such a young age..heck, i'm still trying to get a grip on it at my age!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• You have some catching up to do here. Start by asking her what she knows or remembers from past conversations. Ask her what she would like to know. Once you get through the mechanics of menstruation and reproduction, share your feelings (try to be positive) and ask her if she has any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:16 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I took both of my girls to the library and together read some books on the subject.

Answer by older at 11:08 AM on Dec. 25, 2009

• don't u remember how you felt?
    Anonymous

• Being that we have 6 children running around at any given time I took her to lunch at McD's (her favorite place for just the 2 of us to have lunch). We talked about what she knew, what she wanted to know, and the mechanics/hygiene of the changes that were about to happen. We also had ice cream to "celebrate" the fact that she was growing up and becoming a real lady now and not one of the kids.
    Jeni715

Answer by Jeni715 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• Being an L&D nurse, I'm all about early education. Not fun delivering a 12/13 yr old. One book I have found helpful for young girls is, "The care and Keeping of YOU" by American Girl. It can be found in Bookstores such as Barnes & Noble. It is written for you girls to understand, with correct information about changes, in the body and very up to date. There is a 10 page section that deals with The Period. It is also a good guide for the nervous parent. The pictures are colorful and in good taste. There are several different books also available for the more advanced teen that goes further in to sexuality & relationships. Check it out. You'll find this book very useful. Hope this helps.
    LadyP911

Answer by LadyP911 at 5:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2009