Am I the only one who sees this as a tad bit contradicting?

Based on the two questions about 14 year olds having sex, everyone agrees that 14 is way too young to be having sex. However, many say that the mom should put her daughter on birth control. Your saying she's too young, but also saying it's ok as long as she's on the pill. How about we talk to our kids not only about pregnancy and STD's but the emotional effects that come with sex. Give them the oppurtunity to know what their doing. If a kid knows all the aspects of sex and love, they are six times more likely to not have sex.

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I believe at that age my child should be accountable for their actions. I hope that I have informed them enough, instilled the values, informed them of consequences, taught responsibility and so on. I can't control my child's every move, but I hope they make good choices. As far as my home and my household no one has sex under my roof but me and my husband. It's really hard to find that medium....I don't condone it, I don't allow it, here's why, but protect yourself so I don't become a Grandma at 34. It's really weird.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• my sister was put on birth control at 12 for her acne, and the dr approached my mom about it. After she was on the pill for a while, my mom decided she should tell her about sex. she didnt have sex until 15, so just because a kid is on the pill doesnt mean its a free ride.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• 15 is still way to young to be having sex, so yes she did get a free ride. I would say you pay for it and go to the doctor. If you are responsible enough to have sex you can make the gyno appointment and get on bc yourself or your life will suck in my house...
    Anonymous

• To me the thought that giving them birth control or informing them about it makes them have sex is hose pucky. I agree with the pp that teach them everything but give them the safenet if they slip up. My mom became a grandma at 34 and my sister at 37, meaning my mom became a great grandma at 53 which is crazy considering a lot of people aren't even grand parents by 56.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 9:15 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Putting a girl on birth control isn't giving them permission to have sex. It's a precaution. It's like wearing a seat belt in the car, just because you have it on doesn't mean that you drive the car like an idiot knowing you will be OK in an accident. It's there just in case the worst happens.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• My brother in law has just become a grandfather at the age of 33. His 13 (yes I said 13...it makes me sick) year old son got his 14 year old (now ex) girlfriend pregnant and she had a baby December 7th.

Am betting if her parents had known this would happen they would have happily allowed her to be put on birth control. But it goes so much beyond that. It was always made very clear to myself and my older sisters that my parents didn't want us having sex before we were married (we all did but whatever lol), and that if we ever got pregnant in our teenage years we would have to find another place to live because they wouldn't be helping us out. That kept us all in line.
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 9:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I am all for abstinence, and I will enforce it with every thing in me, but I don't care how strict the parent is, kids can still sneak, and I think a lot of parents have came to realize that., so it's not giving them the "okay" to have sex, it's taking precaution. My parents were very cautious and talked to me often about not having sex, waiting until I was married etc. and I still got away with it.
    Anonymous

• 14 IS too young to be having sex. I think we all can agree on that. However at 14, if you want to have sex, you will find a way. Regardless of how strict your parents are with you and how many tabs they keep, if you are really determined to have sex, you WILL. I was 15 when I lost my virginity and my parents were super strict and it wasn't that hard for me to go out and have sex with my bf. I would never put my child on BC though...not because its giving her permission to have sex but because I feel there are many women out there now having trouble conceiving b/c they've been on the pill for too long. It has too many negative side effects...that I have experienced first hand myself.
    Anonymous

• When my mom gave me the pill I was already having sex. I thought it was cool and went and had more sex. Her intentions of "precaution" were my intentions of lets do it some more. I think the pp made a good point, letting the child know they will not be helping them in anyway if they get pregnant. I wish my mom would have told me that.
    Anonymous

• My parents were SUPER strict and I managed to have sex under their roof while they were upstairs watching tv. At that age, boys only take a couple minutes---hahhaha, at this age, they only take a couple of minutes! LMAO Anyway, my sister took me to Planned Parenthood to get on birth control and because of that probably, I don't already have a 17 year old child. Whether it's your sister or your parents, whether you are or aren't having sex...................................................................................it can change your whole life...................................better safe than sorry!

PS---He was my high school sweetheart and we were together all of our high school years.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 23, 2009