Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm SO frustrated!!!

My mom died 3 years ago, when I was 22. Since then I have been taking care of my sister who is now 5 years old because my father walked out on us right after our mother died. So, for the past 3 years I've had sole care of her.

Now, 3 years after he walked out on us and never even bothered to at least call and see if we're ok, he came back to take my sister with him in California because he's getting married there.

What can I do to stop this? I know my sister will be way happier with me than the man who she doesn't even remember!!!

Would you let this happen? I've given up everything for my sister. I droped out of college, got a job, I'm 25 and I haven't dated anybody in 3 years because I didn't have time to!!!

I just don't want the @sshole to take her away!!!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • I would call DSS and ask what can be done, maybe research family law... since he abandoned her when she was 2 and hasnt even bothered since, and you've been the sole caretaker... as long as you can prove that you CAN provide for her, they may let you legally adopt her. Never hurts to ask.

    Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 10:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • Wow those are quite the age differences for siblings! You should talk to a family lawyer too to know for sure what your rights are.

    Good luck.

    Answer by sgtdemanda at 10:03 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • Try a Lawyer getting custody.Some even do it for free,you deserve it girl!

    Answer by boogernoodle at 10:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • Definitely check with family law, but I am pretty sure (in Oregon anyways) that any family member can file for custody. Also the court that will hear the custody case will be the one in which the child has lived for the last 6mo. If I were you I would file a protective restraining ASAP if possible.

    Answer by proudmama511 at 10:20 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • How did you get her medical help for all this time if you were not her legal guardian? You couldn't have even signed her up for school without being her guardian legally. Call a lawyer or legal aid and get this taken care of and sign up for child support which you should have done years ago.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • You need a lawyer asap! Unfortunately these cases do not always end how they should. If he never signed away his parental rights, there is a big issue. Please contact a family law attorney in your state to see what rights you have. If you need some help to point you in the right direction, please feel free to contact me.


    Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

  • You need to get a lawyer & sue him for sole custody. 3 years with no contact should be enough to prove abandonment.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:30 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.