Cold sore in a 1 year old

I did a search online and I didnt come across anything useful.
I think I gave my little girl a cold sore! :( Even though I have been washing my hands and not kissing her, she has a red bump on her lip. It *could* be a cat scratch, but I think it is a cold sore.
Do I absolutely need to take her to the doctor? Is there something I can do for her? Any other advice?

serioussifL

Asked by serioussifL at 10:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mama gave me a cold sore once or twice when I was younger.

I haven't had any as an adult *knock on wood*
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• To the best of my knowledge cold sores are most often caused by Herpes simplex 1. If perhaps you did give her this by kissing her, it can lie dormant in your system for years, then it is likely you should probably have it checked out. 85% of the population has it so if your daughter has one it is not out of the norm. But you never know what havoc such an adult disease could wreak on a small childs body and immune system. They can give you something or guide you to the right medicine. If you're worried a bout your cold sore try Abreva or ask your doctor for a prescription for valtrex. They hold off herpes (and the things they can bring about like cold sores) outbreaks for good amounts of time, or you can take them when one comes on. I found out all this stuff when I was diagnosed with it in 05. I had a belle's palsy. It paralyzed one side of my face since it grew in my cheek. If she has it long she can rub it and spread it!
    thebatesfamily

Answer by thebatesfamily at 1:21 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• And DO NOT blame this on your husband, I blamed it on my partner at the time and my doctor told me I likely had it for a really long time since I had canker sores in the past. Definitely check out all the info you have on exactly what a cold sore IS and then go from there doll. You don't want her to rub her face and then grab her nether region or her eyes. It can be really bad!
    thebatesfamily

Answer by thebatesfamily at 1:23 AM on Dec. 24, 2009