Jealous, Rude, or is it me?

I have co-workers who are younger than me by 15 years. We all have the same positions, so no one has seniority over anyone else. I find their daily behavior to be confusing at best. They seem to not enjoy working as a team with me, but rather, finding any avenue they can to sabotage me or make me look foolish. They are friendly to me when they want something. As employees of this company, we are all required to accomplish the same goal and I find many of their ideas much better than mine sometimes, and tell them frequently. I scratch my head at the end of the day wondering if they are jealous of something I'm doing, are they just rude people(I don't want to believe this one), or is it me being paranoid? Anyone been in this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• This is really hard to answer without knowing any of you. It could be many different factors. Is there anyone at work you could ask, like maybe in a different department? Maybe they'll have heard something or can give you some better feedback. Most people do talk about issues with others in the same company. Have you tried to just come right out and ask them? I did this once with a co-worker. Found out she wasn't upset with me, she was going through a very bad custody battle.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 11:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Lesli, I thought about this, and everytime I do try and ask one of them in particular, if all is going ok in her life, how are things, etc, She has very short, brief, answers and has an attitude of- "why don't you mind your own business."
    Anonymous

• You aren't anyone's punching bag. If they have good ideas, that's fine and it's great to implement them. But your instincts are probably right so keep it professional and be an example by doing so. Work hard so that you are recognized too. If you can't relate to their chit chat, just be polite and stay professional. Don't give them any opportunity to sabbotage you or make you look foolish. Work harder for the next little while and really mind your P's and Qs so they won't have an "in" to make you look bad. They might be trying to get you fired. Good luck, remember, this too shall pass and karma is a bitch!
    Anonymous

• Is there an HR or employee relations person you can speak with?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:42 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I doubt they are jealous probably just rude or think you look down on them because you are older and the younger crowd for some reason seems to think us older people sit around judging them all day.lol I would just do you job and be the good worker and person you are and leave them be.
    Anonymous

• Oh my, EVERY DAY I deal with this! They are just young and silly. And perhaps a bit intimidated by your experience. Be professional and polite and come here and rant to us :)
    sandytoshiko

Answer by sandytoshiko at 7:56 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• People's parents rarely teach them civility anymore.

Morons.

Very egocentric.
    Anonymous

• I deal with this on a daily basis and I have learned many things: (1) people will do anything to make themselves shine above everyone else, (2) some people are just mean in nature and by that I mean, they love to make someone feel less than what they are or (3) if you arrived at this job after them then they want you to feel like an outsider, like you'll never fit in. If you ever need to talk, look me up, I've had many experiences in this field. I hope I helped
    Chele18504

Answer by Chele18504 at 9:58 PM on Dec. 25, 2009