HELP!!!! NEED SLEEP!

my 1 1/2month old wont sleep! he falls asleep then wakes up 15 mins later crying, i change him he still cries, i try to feed him he doesnt want it or just chews on the nipple, i hold him and hes content for a few minutes and cries more, ive given him gripe water and gas drops it doesnt work, i've given him a bath with his bathtime bubbles and lotion and he passes out then wakes up 20 mins later then falls asleep then wakes up again!!! I've checked his temp hes fine. I don't know why hes having this problem. Has anyone else had this problem?? What can i do?!

krisholl2285

Asked by krisholl2285 at 11:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You say 1 1/2 month old so I'm going to assume he's around 6 weeks old? If so, that is a hot growth spurt time. My son went through one at that stage and didn't sleep much and fussed for a few days. That could be the case with your baby. There isn't too much you can do but on the bright side, if he is going through a growth spurt, he will sleep alot soon...at least my son did once it was over with.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried swaddling him? Hold him close and go "SHHHHHH SHHHHH" in his ear. Sounds of the womb.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Have you tried some sort of sound in his room?
    Also try bouncing him slightly on his tummy on your lap to soft noise/music...
    Put him on his tummy and rub his back... or if you are not comfortable with the
    tummy thing, try rubbing his tummy and talking to him ... telling him a story....
    My gs was like that and we ended up with a noise toy/machine on his crib...
    his back rubbed every night until he was almost a yr 1/2 old....
    but each child is different... so these ideas may or may not work on him...
    Good Luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:20 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Swaddling and heart sounds (noise maker) worked for my three.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:22 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• He's at the age where that is.. sadly pretty normal.. I'd say the same thing as these other ladies... get a swaddle blanket and wrap him up tight after his bath.. maybe get a alarm clock with white noise or some kind of baby device that makes noise and play it for him... just make sure he's well fed and everything.. enjoy momma
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 11:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• When does this happen? All day? Has the doc mentioned colic?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:37 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I've tried swaddling, after a few minutes he kicks his feet out and somehow gets himself unwrapped. he has a music player thing with a light that reflects on the ceiling that has images that rotate around with classical music and nature sounds, ive tried that it works for a minute then he wakes himself up and cries. My friend bought him the teddy bear with the womb sounds for xmas so i dont have it yet. Ive rocked him patted his back, butt and everything. I'm gonna ask about colic tomorrow. He finally passed out so I'm hoping it lasts for a few hours im exhausted!
    krisholl2285

Answer by krisholl2285 at 11:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• This is probably gonna sound crazy, but I had problems getting my son to sleep and I actually taped the vacuum cleaner and played the tape in his room and it worked, by the time the tape shut off he was out like a light. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I had that problem when my baby was born and I couldn't figure it out, he had all the symptoms that you wrote down, I would swaddle him and hold him sing talk to him nothing helped, so I bought a bottle that vents out air out of the bottom that way he wasn't sucking so much air in and since then I didn't have anymore problems
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Does he have acid reflux maybe? I'd document everything you are doing with and feeding to him for a period of time up until you can see the pediatrician and rate the amount/length of crying periods of 1-10. Maybe you'll find out what you're feeding him is bad. Or perhaps something you're eating if you're breastfeeding is upsetting his digestive tract. I hope this helps!
    thebatesfamily

Answer by thebatesfamily at 1:25 AM on Dec. 24, 2009