Do we have to get an IV when were in labor

Im far from giving birth but I hate needles and i dont want to be poked with them during labor, I do want the baby born in a hospital(just in case) but I dont want an IV put in or anything, do I have to have one?
Dont answer "ask your doctor" I want to know what you think, I'll eventually ask my doctor but I need answers from moms who have had their baby in the hospital
thanks

JillianRose

Asked by JillianRose at 11:15 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No you never *have* to do ANYthing! ;-)
    Everything is optional.
    If you don't want something you can decline it.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:16 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I only had an IV when it became clear that there were going to be complications. It is completely possible to go without having an IV.
    Janiepie

Answer by Janiepie at 11:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• i had an IV with both of my kids, but i know alot of mom that go through their labor and delivery without one...
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 11:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Ditto. Everything is optional regardless of what they try to tell you. Even though you are in labor and in a hospital, you still have ALL of your rights.
    I didnt get one. I had an all natural birth and didnt use an IV or anything. It was great!
    That being said, you should try to find a CNM (which is the type of midwife that works in hospitals) they're much more likely to kindly agree to your requests rather than fight you on them.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 11:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• IV's are usually inserted primarily to prevent dehydration and often times, it's easier to administer pain medications through the IV line rather than having to be poked again. Just think, Moms lose a lot of fluids when giving birth. I imagine a "dry" birth would be pretty painful. Now is the time to start reprogramming your thought processes: "Winners do what they have to do and losers do what they want to do." As much as I hate needles, I've gone any lengths to make sure my children were born as safe and as healthy as possible.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:20 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• IV's are most of the time used as an extra source of hydration and fluids. I had one, and most everyone I know had one, but none of us had a problem with it so that's why. Its usually customary but of course you can decline an IV. However if complications arise during labor and delivery, you may not have that option if doctors feel its necessary.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• As far as I've been told. IV's are a hospital regulation because they won't have to insert one in case you need emergency surgery.... But. I was sick and even for having my baby I had an IV because I was induced. So I guess I don't know.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 11:24 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I had one. I also had an epidural. I figured it was what was done every time.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• All the hospitals I have been to insist you have the IV inserted in case of an emergency, unless you show up too late and the baby is already on it's way out. Rather than the actual IV, you can opt to just have the Heparin Lock inserted.
    Anonymous

• The "IV's are necessary for hydration/nutrition" line is BS. I drank WITH MY MOUTH like a human being during labor. And all was well.
    And "it's easier if you need emergency surgery" blah blah blah. BS again, because how many people come in in a true emergency (like a car accident or a ruptured appendix or something) and they werent walking around tied to an IV all day "just in case". They get the IV put in at that time when it becomes necessary.
    I think it's just another way for them to give you meds and make it easier to talk you in to "You already have an IV so we may as well add some Stadol" or whatever.
    The reason I was SO against an IV (because some women dont understand so I'll clarify) is that I wanted a natural birth and I wanted to be able to get up and move around and get in and out of the tub and shower. I didnt want to be tied down. So I drank fluids the old fashioned way.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 11:29 PM on Dec. 23, 2009