How can u get a 17 mos old to go to bed on her own?

my 17 mos old doesnt want to go to sleep til midnight everynight.. she has just started this stage two wks ago. she has always went to bed between 9 and 10pm.. i have tryed alot of different things to get her to go to sleep on her own. she will fall asleep after we go to bed but i have other things to do after she goes to sleep cuz thats the only time i can seem to get them done..... thoughts on how to get her to go to sleep on her own??????

mjsmom09

Asked by mjsmom09 at 11:20 PM on Dec. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put her in her bed and leave her there. She'll fall asleep eventually.

How does she know what time you guys go to bed? Does she sleep in the same room as you?
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 11:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Lay down with her and get her to sleep then get up and do the things you need to do.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:58 AM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I still rock my 16 mo old to sleep. A lot of the time I will rock and then stop after a while and get reallllllly still and pretend I am alseep and then he usually falls asleep then too. It's like he wants to think someone is going to sleep with him as well, so he's not missing anything. If he thinks I'm asleep then he usually will fall asleep faster. If it's a night where he's still fighting me really bad I put him in his bed and let him cry for 10 min, if he's still crying then, then I'll go get him and try again, he's usually much more cooperative once I've "rescued" him.
    AddyLeigh

Answer by AddyLeigh at 1:24 PM on Dec. 24, 2009

• I'll lay my son down with the lights out and lay next to him so he has that security. I'm having the same problem as you are. I have to lay there for an hour in hopes that he'll attempt to sleep.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 4:21 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Hold her until she falls asleep. If you have things to do, wear her in a carrier or sling.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:54 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I rocked my son to sleep until he was 2 years old. I then quit cold turkey, Layed him down awake and he cries for 5-15 minutes a nite. I was prepared for many more. But I'm told after a few weeks it will normal to him. Good Luck
    mama32177

Answer by mama32177 at 3:54 AM on Dec. 27, 2009